Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hiosilv4  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:15:55 PM(UTC)
hiosilv4

Groups: Registered

I have a Tappan gas oven (model 12-2299-10/06) which was installed over 18 years old. Within the past 6 months, the oven is not reaching the desired temperature. According to the thermometer I placed inside the oven, the temperature is off 50 degrees (too low).

For over 2 hours tonight, I made an attempt to recalibrate the temperature. After pulling off the control dial, the two small screws on opposite side were exposed. I turned the screws either clockwise and/or counterclockwise and waited 15 minutes to see if the temperature increased. I tried different variations to the screw adjustment procedure. Unfortunately, I was not successful in achieving the temperature noted on the inside oven thermometer. I learned about the calibration procedure by searching the Internet. However, the instructions about what direction to turn the screws varied from one tech to another.

At this time, I'm ready to leave the temperature calibration fixes to a pro. Does anyone have a service or owner's manual for my oven? Is calibration a difficult task? I think so! I also understand the temperature issue could be related to a broken part.

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:21:29 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

are you reading your oven thermometer after preheat, if so check your thermometer 20 minutes after preheat, this will give you a pretty good idea of the temp, as these thermometers are not very acurate. Next the 2 screws on the back of the knob should be loose then you should be able to rotate the inner dial to increase or decrease the temp, but I believe only 35 degrees in either direction, not 50
abadfish66  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:22:46 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

one more thing, taking a temp reading takes time and patience. 15 minutes is not long enough to get a true oven temp reading
hiosilv4  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:47:20 PM(UTC)
hiosilv4

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: abadfish66 Go to Quoted Post
one more thing, taking a temp reading takes time and patience. 15 minutes is not long enough to get a true oven temp reading

Thanks for your quick reply! :) I'm checking temperature after preheat. It's definitely off 50 degress --too low. I now understand the screw loosening/dial turning process. I'm going to make a few more attempts tonight and remember that being patient is a key element.
abadfish66  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:50:44 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Let the oven preheat, then check you oven thermometer 20 minutes after it has preheated. this will give you your best temp reading....let us know what you find.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply