Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lonstar  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:00:22 PM(UTC)
lonstar

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Neptune MAH4000 washer and matching gas dryer that I bought new in 1999 or 2000. The drum bearings are going out in the washer, the noise has gotten so loud we can't be in the same room when it's running.

Until this bearing problem came about, I had no idea there were problems with the Neptune. Internet search's have taught me that wax motors need replaced, control boards fail, mold problems are common, lawsuits were filed...etc. My experience has been the opposite, we've had zero problems. In the 10 or 11 years we've owned this washer, we've never had to have any service done to it. It's always run flawlessly....and even with the noisy worn out bearing, it still does.

I'm not bragging, I now consider ourselves very lucky.

Since the cost of bringing the MAH4000 up to reliable standards doesn't make economical sense, we're in the market for a new washer.

Because a washer should last 10+ years, I think buying a top of the line model isn't out of line (same thinking I had when I bought a Neptune 10 years ago).

So, everything above being said, what should I buy? My Maytag held up well, despite the problems others had.

Here's the reason for my post -- should I buy the latest Maytag model, the MAW7000, or the latest Whirlpool model WFW97WHE?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

NeptuneHelp  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 2:16:19 AM(UTC)
NeptuneHelp

Hey there, you can replace your Neptune bearings... See Neptune Bearing for more info. You can even rent a special tool kit to help you pull the bearings and install the new ones and there is a instructional DVD that shows you all the steps to disassembly. replace bearings and the seal kit install.

Let's face it... The Neptune's were the first residential machines to hit the big time and they had some issues but once they are corrected it is a decent machine. You have a machine with a nice history so you know what the failure issues will be and it is easy to work on... where as you buy a new machine and who knows what is going to fail in the future...

Until next time...
lonstar  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 7:46:32 AM(UTC)
lonstar

I know I can replace the bearings, I already found the website that rents the Tony Tool. I've also watched some videos on Youtube showing how to disassemble the washer. I was an auto mechanic for over 10 years, so I have no problem whatsoever with repairing it, but it doesn't seem worth it.

If I'm going to replace the bearings, I may as will buy a new bearing spacer (hate to get the machine apart and find out I need one and didn't order it), a new wax motor, new belt and new door seal. By then I'll have nearly $300 into it. I don't think spending $300 on a 10 year old machine is a very wise move. In the long run, I'm better off putting that money toward a new machine.

I've looked into LG but have read that their reliability isn't so great. Another thing that turns me off about them is parts availability. If the stories are true, parts come from Korea and can take weeks to get.

I decided to stick with the brand that has worked well for me for 10+ years, but I need a little help deciding whether to buy a Maytag model or a Whirlpool model. And yes, I know it's the same company making both of them.

Any opinions on whether one is any better than the other?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply