Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MisterTime  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:10:59 PM(UTC)
MisterTime

Groups: Registered

I recently moved.
Movers moved appliances and such.
I found out that they had a problem getting my refrigerator thru the door so they took the doors off.
In doing so they damaged the water dispenser water line where it goes through the lower freezer door hinge.
When I attached and turned off the water I get a leak below the freezer door.
I intended to replace the line but can not get the front panel where the water and ice dispensers are.
I am guessing that if I can get into that panel I can hook up a new water line and feed it through the hinge and then connect it to the control valve?

If my plan sounds like it should work could you tell me how to get the front pannel off? Or tell me what I need to do to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MisterTime  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 2:12:45 PM(UTC)
MisterTime

Groups: Registered

Problem resolved.

First of all:

Thanks to the site below:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,sswsswsrs...9676img-or.jpg

They have great pictures and directions on how to remove the dispenser panel as well as the part behind it.

I followed their instructions to remove the cover and (After first writing down the wire colors and locations) removed the control panel.
Then I removed the small assembly behind it and removed the one screw holding the metal piece that holds the water line in place, so that I had free access to the water line.

I had already pulled off the bottom front cover and disconnected the water line at the connecter located there (simply by pulling it apart).

Once I had access to the water line where it comes out at the dispenser, I found that if I pulled it (slightly as a test) it did indeed pull the water line UP.

I still had no information as to if the water line is inside of a tube from bottom to top, nor could I be certain from what I could see.

Therefore I found a screw that would fit snuggly inside of the water line.
Next I cut the head off of the screw.
Then screwed the screw 1/2 way into the old water line at the connector at the bottom of the fridge and the other 1/2 into the new line, securing the two lines together.
Then as I pulled the old line out at the top the new line followed it all the way up.
I cut the new line just short of where the screw had entered.
Reconnected all items in exact reverse of removal, plugged the fridge back in and tested for leaks.
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Finding none I put the bottom panel back and set the fridge back in its place.[/font]

Then tested by running a gallon of water through the water dispenser.

All worked great for a total cost of $2.54 for a 25' roll of water line at Lowes and an old screw from my workbench. Not to mention a few hours of online research.
I did find similar questions on several sites but all only had either partial answers or in some cases answers that were not even slightly associated with the problem.

In closing I will state that (As far as I Know) this resolution is only valid for a Kenmore Elite, Side by Side, Model Number: 106.55522400.

I hope if anyone else has a similar problem that this will help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply