Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Glen Barclay  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 10:40:54 AM(UTC)
Glen Barclay

Groups: Registered

I frequently find water in the refrigerator compartment. After about 7 times unfreezing the drain hole in the freezer I'm tired. The last time I did that I turned off the icemaker and the problem did not come back for several months but occured again after turning on the ice maker again.
Any ideas on the problem like maybe the icemaker is bad or the solenoid is not shutting off the water after filling?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 10:53:16 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

There are a couple of possibilities. Are you noticing a change in the physical size (like, smaller?) of your ice? Or do you notice that all your ice in the bin is frozen together?

Check to see if the water fill tube to the icemaker is cracked or leaking.
Glen Barclay  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 7:20:28 PM(UTC)
Glen Barclay

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
There are a couple of possibilities. Are you noticing a change in the physical size (like, smaller?) of your ice? Or do you notice that all your ice in the bin is frozen together?

Check to see if the water fill tube to the icemaker is cracked or leaking.

Sometimes the ice in the bin gets frozen together but that's after it's been in there a long time (I think).
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:20:55 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

As an icemaker ages, it is common for a corrosion to build up on the surface of the mold. This is the minerals that settle out of the water over time. It causes the water in the mold to "wick" out and over the edge of the mold, into the refrigerator. Evidences are smaller ice cubes harvested, and unexplained ice forming in the freezer. In extreme cases, all the water wicks out of the mold, and you get no ice cubes at all.

If this is your case, replacing the icemaker is the only reliable solution.
Glen Barclay  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:15:37 AM(UTC)
Glen Barclay

I removed the floor pan as I have done before and removed the ice. I next removed the ice maker and noticed some of the covering have come off of the unit. I next removed the back panel to find alot of ice around the ends of the left side of the cooling tubes (below the filler tube for the ice maker). I melted it then put everthing back with the exception of the ice maker.
Does the massive amount of ice on the left side indicate that it was caused by the ice maker dripping or that the defroster is not working correctly?
I also looked at the filler tube and it did not appear to have any cracks in it.
Thanks for your assistance.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply