Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
35mastr  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 9:36:56 AM(UTC)
35mastr

Groups: Registered

The washer will fill and drain. Ohm checked the lid switch ok. Ohm checked the fuse ok. The belt is on. The motor never spins to agitate or for spin cycle. Drum pulley is free and also the motor. Both can be turned freely by hand. Tryed to check for codes under drip sheild on motor. But there is no led light as indicated on schmatic. Even pulled motor and pulled drip shield to find the LED. I dont see one on the board at all. Wife been without a machine all week. I really need to get this fixed. Please help me if all possible.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 10:03:10 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Unplug your machine. Find the motor wiring harness (left-most as you view the motor, facing the wire connectors) with the white w/red stripe wire in it. disconnect that connector. do a continuity check between that wire and the neutral blade of the machine's power cord. If no continuity, the fuse is bad.
35mastr  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 11:18:37 AM(UTC)
35mastr

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
Unplug your machine. Find the motor wiring harness (left-most as you view the motor, facing the wire connectors) with the white w/red stripe wire in it. disconnect that connector. do a continuity check between that wire and the neutral blade of the machine's power cord. If no continuity, the fuse is bad.

Magicman, I have continuty there on that wire and the neutral on the plug.
Still no agitation or spin.

What would be the next step?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 11:37:36 AM(UTC)
magician59

Same connector: Lid of the machine down. You should find continuity between the orange wire in the connector and the line, or, "hot" blade on the cord. It should open when you open the lid.
If no continuity with the lid down, replace the lid switch.
35mastr  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 11:59:02 AM(UTC)
35mastr

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
Same connector: Lid of the machine down. You should find continuity between the orange wire in the connector and the line, or, "hot" blade on the cord. It should open when you open the lid.
If no continuity with the lid down, replace the lid switch.

Majicman,No Orange in that plug. Left to right I have 4 wires
Green with yellow tracer
White with red tracer
Red with black tracer
Last wire is either green or grey.
In the last wire I have continuity with lid down and open with lid up.
magician59  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 12:31:15 PM(UTC)
magician59

OK. You eithe rhave a bad timer or the motor is bad. Timers fail more frequently than motors. If you have a wiring diagram with your achine (most GEs don't have them), you may be able to do some voltage tests to determine which; but by the numbers, it's the timer.
Part number: AP4380181
applianceman  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 5:41:21 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If the LED isn’t flashing then the motor is most likely the problem. The control (timer/main board) will not cause the LED to go out. Now no LED may just be a coincidence, it could have been out for a while but generally if the LED isn’t flashing and the fuse isn’t blown the motor is the problem. Make sure you have power to the motor by testing from the red/black wire to the white/red wire; you should have 110 anytime the washer is plugged in.

Now put the washer into high-speed spin mode. There should be a red plug on the far right of the motor. With the washer in spin there should be 12 VDC between pins 5 (pin farthest right it should be purple) to pin 3 (third from left blue) and 12 VDC from pins 5 to pin 4 (forth from left black). If the voltages are good and the motor will not run the motor is bad. If you are not getting the correct voltage replace the control.

HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide
magician59  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:31:21 AM(UTC)
magician59

Hey Applianceman:
I was getting some of my info from your website. You got a manual available on this generation of machine?
applianceman  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:05:53 AM(UTC)
applianceman

All the manuals I have a paper manuals but if you go to http://appliancejunk.com/forums/

Or

Download Manager - ApplianceDigest.com

If you to go the GE forum on applinaceJunk and look at any washer thread. JW has posted a link to a manual on almost every GE washer thread. They regularly post manuals for this washer but I have never looked at them because I have the paper manuals. I have answered on a lot of those threads as well (screen name ryan111).

On the pages I wrote on my website I have tried to simplify the info but I don’t have all the info that is in the manual, only the things I believe most people will need to know (from experience in the field) . I am thinking about putting up another page that digs deeper on testing voltages on the motor like what I posted on this thread so that people with more electrical testing skills can confirm that it is the motor vs. control.
35mastr  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:12:14 AM(UTC)
35mastr

Originally Posted by: applianceman Go to Quoted Post
If the LED isn’t flashing then the motor is most likely the problem. The control (timer/main board) will not cause the LED to go out. Now no LED may just be a coincidence, it could have been out for a while but generally if the LED isn’t flashing and the fuse isn’t blown the motor is the problem. Make sure you have power to the motor by testing from the red/black wire to the white/red wire; you should have 110 anytime the washer is plugged in.

Now put the washer into high-speed spin mode. There should be a red plug on the far right of the motor. With the washer in spin there should be 12 VDC between pins 5 (pin farthest right it should be purple) to pin 3 (third from left blue) and 12 VDC from pins 5 to pin 4 (forth from left black). If the voltages are good and the motor will not run the motor is bad. If you are not getting the correct voltage replace the control.

HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

I have 12VDC between 3 and 5. Also have 12VDC at 4 and 5. So I guess its safe to say that the motor is bad as it still never starts up.

I appretiate all the help that I get from this forum.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply