Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
topfreeze  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:52:31 PM(UTC)
topfreeze

Groups: Registered

It looks like the diffuser is not opening or closing when the refrigerator thermostat (cold control) is adjusted.
I want to test the thermostat with an ohm meter, but there are three leads coming off the t-stat besides the ground.
Can someone tell me which leads are to be tested and can it be tested in place with power on, or taken out?
I can move the diffuser vents manually. Is there a test to check if it's working?
Basically, I think I need to replace either the diffuser or the refrigerator thermostat but which is the bad piece?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 1:26:58 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: topfreeze Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the diffuser is not opening or closing when the refrigerator thermostat (cold control) is adjusted.
I want to test the thermostat with an ohm meter, but there are three leads coming off the t-stat besides the ground.
Can someone tell me which leads are to be tested and can it be tested in place with power on, or taken out?
I can move the diffuser vents manually. Is there a test to check if it's working?
Basically, I think I need to replace either the diffuser or the refrigerator thermostat but which is the bad piece?

Topfreeze,

With the description you gave, you need the diffuser,

Part number: AP3046080
Part number: AP3046080

The vent louvres are linked to, and driven by a motor / linkage assembly,

You should not be able to move them, as easily as it sounds.

That's where I would start were it me.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
topfreeze  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 1:36:06 PM(UTC)
topfreeze

Groups: Registered

Thanks, Joe. I was thinking about ordering both the diffuser and the thermostat not know ing which is the bad part.
Can you tell me how to test the thermostat for the refrigerator side?
I just posted the question with a picture of the t-stat which has three prongs and a ground.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 7:28:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: topfreeze Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Joe. I was thinking about ordering both the diffuser and the thermostat not know ing which is the bad part.
Can you tell me how to test the thermostat for the refrigerator side?
I just posted the question with a picture of the t-stat which has three prongs and a ground.

Topfreeze,

Here's the Refrgerator cold control information:

You have 3 wires and the green ground wire,

Orange/Black, terminal #2, is the common lead into the control.

Yellow/Red,terminal#3, is the power lead to the damper motor on the cold(lower settings).

Black/Yellow,terminal#1, is the power lead to the damper motor on the coldest(higher setting).

So,

With the cold control at room Temperature:

The orange/black terminal to the yellow/red terminal should be a closed circuit on the lower temperature setting on the control.

The orange/black terminal to the black/yellow terminal should be a closed circuit on the higher temperature setting.

Something I used to do,

Take a glass of iced water,or ice cubes, while you're testing, insert the end of the control thermal bulb and put it in the water,or cubes, and watch your meter, the circuit should open,

If you warm the end of the thermal bulb(warm water or your hand), the circuit should close again.

This should get you to where you need to be.

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply