Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott805  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:09:40 PM(UTC)
scott805

Groups: Registered

I need some help troubleshooting my washer. Two days ago, after the full cycle had finished, the clothes were still very wet. I ran the spin cycle again and made sure the balance was ok, which it was. I observed the spin cycle and it was spinning very slowly and still did not dry the clothes.

Yesterday, I tried to wash another load and mid cycle (during agitation) the washer completely shut down and started to smell like something was burning. I looked at the belt, which appeared to be quite worn and had small bits of rubber lying around. I started up the washer again on spin cycle and the motor turned on, but neither the tub nor the agitator moved. The drain pump did appear to work as the last little bit of water which I couldn’t bail out, came out of the drain hose. I flipped the washer over and removed the belt. I tried manually turning the agitator and tub, but could not move them. I obviously need to replace the belt, but does this sound like something else is wrong also, perhaps the thrust bearing assembly?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:36:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Scott,

Remove the belt and check the drive pulley movement. Turning the pulley clockwise should oscillate the agitator and turning counterclockwise will release the brake for spinning action. If the pulley does not turn, replace the transmission.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MAV7557EWW Washer, Atlantis | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
scott805  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:51:42 PM(UTC)
scott805

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the response.

I checked the drive pulley movement. It turns easily by hand and rotates the agitator in opposite directions when I turn it clockwise and counterclockwise. It didn’t rotate the drum in either direction. Does that help at all or is there anything else I should check?

Thanks,

[FONT=&quot]Scott [/FONT]
scott805  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:42:14 AM(UTC)
scott805

Is there a chance that all I need to do is replace the belt and I’m just overcomplicating things by thinking something else is broken? I have had this washer for over 7 years. I have a belt on order which should be here today, but I was hesitant to put it on without first determining if there was an additional problem. Any thoughts?
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:22:13 AM(UTC)
Gene

If you ordered the belt from Appliance Parts Pros, you can return it even if it was installed. So just give it a try.

Gene.
scott805  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:44:49 PM(UTC)
scott805

Ok, I will try replacing the belt and hope that solves it.

I also ordered the thrust bearing pulley assembly, just in case. I guess I will try to inspect the thrust bearing while I replace the belt. I am guessing I will be able to see visible wear on the two ramped features if that has worn down.

Thanks,

Scott
scott805  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:46:41 PM(UTC)
scott805

I disassembled the thrust bearing assembly and everything looked fine. Just to be sure, I installed the new thrust bearing assembly and it behaved exactly the same. When rotated in either direction, it just turns the agitator. If I understand correctly, when turned counterclockwise, the thrust bearing should cam upwards and disengage the brake, allowing the basket to spin, but for some reason, this isn’t happening.

Thanks,

[FONT=&quot]Scott [/FONT]
Gene  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:18:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Scott,

Sounds like the problem is a bad transmission.

- The transmission Part number: AP4373431
Part number: AP4373431

Gene.
scott805  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 8:53:33 AM(UTC)
scott805

Thanks, Gene. That's what I was afraid of. I suspected it was probably the transmission.

Scott
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply