Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ClassyMom619  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 9:12:17 AM(UTC)
ClassyMom619

Groups: Registered

My freezer is working, but about a week ago I noticed the fridge getting warmer. On Friday it stopped cooling completely in the fridge and became very warm inside. Everything ended up spoiling. I unplgged the whole unit and let it defrost for a full day. The little holes on the top of the fridge compartment in the back leading up to the freezer were frozen solid and I waited for them to thaw before starting it back up. I have plugged it back in and the freezer is still working, but the fridge still is not. it's not even making any noise at all. Can anyone please tell me what I need to replace? I cannot afford a new fridge and need to repair this one. Please talk to me in layman's terms so I can figure it out myself. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 9:40:26 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Is the freezer fan running or not?
carr3rules  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 10:45:40 AM(UTC)
carr3rules

Your refridgerator gets its cold air from the freezer by way of a fan that transfers air past the freezer coils to the refridgerator. If the fan isnt working the refridgerator will not get cold. I your coils in the freezer are freezing up this will also stop the flow of air to the refridgerator. The first thing to check is the fan.
icehouse  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:23:56 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: ClassyMom619 Go to Quoted Post
My freezer is working, but about a week ago I noticed the fridge getting warmer. On Friday it stopped cooling completely in the fridge and became very warm inside. Everything ended up spoiling. I unplgged the whole unit and let it defrost for a full day. The little holes on the top of the fridge compartment in the back leading up to the freezer were frozen solid and I waited for them to thaw before starting it back up. I have plugged it back in and the freezer is still working, but the fridge still is not. it's not even making any noise at all. Can anyone please tell me what I need to replace? I cannot afford a new fridge and need to repair this one. Please talk to me in layman's terms so I can figure it out myself. Thanks!
It seems that you have two problems. 1. The adaptive defrost is not working. This is why the ice build up. 2. The fan motor. Most likely because the defrost failure and the fan blade got frozen in not turning. :)
Randall2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:58:50 PM(UTC)
Randall2

I had the same problem on a one year old Summit FF874W, zero in the freezer, 50 in the fridge, clean coils etc, but after reading in this thread I got an idea!
I checked the fan, and it was not running, so I thumped the back of the inside of the freezer with my palm over where the fan is and the fan started to go then scraped to a stop.

So I took off the 4 screws holding the panel in place, and removed the panel with the fan attached.
That's when I discovered the problem :)

The fan was screwed to a metal bracket which in turn was screwed to the back of the panel, I noticed the fan bracket was loose and the fan just fell out, I noticed the screw heads were broken and that allowed the fan to shift a bit and get jammed.

So I replaced both screws with new stronger ones, and it works fine now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply