Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
corvettedan22  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 9:29:22 AM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Groups: Registered

I need some help.

I was filling up some watter bottles when my water stoped working on my stand up side by side door refridge. I dont think the ice maker is getting water either.

I checked the line and it seems fine.

The mechanism for the water push button looks ok.

Not sure where to start. Was thinking that I should take the face plate off the front of the door, but im scared it will break when I take it off...

Dan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

corvettedan22  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 12:44:39 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

It does not flow water even if I remove the filter. I do think that the ice machine is getting ice.

So this makes me thing its switch related.

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE FRONT COVER OFF WITH OUT BREAKING IT....

Thanks Dan
magician59  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 12:50:11 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

First, check to see if you're getting water to the valve in the back of the refrigerator. Begin by turning it off at the valve (under the sink). then disconnect the line from tne valve and place it into a deep pan or bucket. Turn the supply valve (the one under the sink) back on just enough to see if water flows unrestricted into the bucket.
corvettedan22  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 1:51:21 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Yes there is flow !

Any suggestions ?

Also any help on getting the front cover face plate off ??
magician59  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 6:13:06 PM(UTC)
magician59

Now we know water flows TO the valve, we need to see if water will flow THROUGH the valve. Swap the electrical connectors on the valve. Press the water paddle/button. Since you already know the ice maker's getting water we can conclude that solenoid works. By swapping the electric connectors and selecting water, we're asking water to flow from the other solenoid; but it will flow into the ice maker. So you don't want to press the water control very long.

Another way to test the valve (but a little more dangerous) is to remove the electrical connector that corresponds to the water dispenser side of the valve. Place a cup on the tray, under the water fountain.Apply 120VAC to the terminals of the valve. If water flows into the cup, the valve is good.
corvettedan22  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 6:57:05 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Thanks so much for your help.

So The water is definately flowing to the ice maker. I saw it running during a normal cycle.

The cyclenoid has the two side.

The tan side, goes to the ice maker, and has large electrical prongs.

The purple side, I assume is the water, and has small electrical prongs.

With this being said I was only able to put the large prongs (connecter from the tan side), onto the small prongs. I dont know how well it fit. But that did not make water flow from the water dispencer or to the ice maker...

Not sure what yo do next. Not sure if I need toplug a wire into the wall and then to the connectors......

stuck
corvettedan22  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 7:28:23 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Ok I rigged up some wires.

When I put the plug from the ice maker side (tan) (that we know is working) to the water side (purple) then it still does not work.

If I put the plug from the water side to the ice maker side, then water will flow out the ice maker.

So, this means my switch is ok, and that my problem is the water side of the solenoid? The purple side...?

Is this correct? Can I get just the purple side ? Do i have to buy the entire thing ? Where should I buy from ?

Thanks thanks thanks....
????
corvettedan22  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 7:29:08 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Ok I rigged up some wires.

When I put the plug from the ice maker side (tan) (that we know is working) to the water side (purple) then it still does not work.

If I put the plug from the water side to the ice maker side, then water will flow out the ice maker.

So, this means my switch is ok, and that my problem is the water side of the solenoid? The purple side...?

Is this correct? Can I get just the purple side ? Do i have to buy the entire thing ? Where should I buy from ?

Thanks thanks thanks....
????
corvettedan22  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 7:45:05 PM(UTC)
corvettedan22

Dont mean to keep posting and posting.

But if I am correct I will need

part number AP43160649 ?

Which is also part number 4389177 I posted a link below. The only difference is there is some extra fitting that mine does not have on teh back where it attaches to the frame .. ??
magician59  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:48:20 AM(UTC)
magician59

From your description, it sounds like the water valve is bad. Here's the replacement part:
Part number: AP3160649
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply