Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leanne  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 5:43:44 AM(UTC)
Leanne

Groups: Registered

I have this Maytag dryer and it starting squealing very loudly and after several months, my husband has worked on it and replaced the roller the holds the drum? He then put it back together and now it sounds like it has metal on metal rubbing, and goes "tha thump, tha thump". My husband say the drum is out of round and he doesn't know what else it needs . It sounds like a freight train on the tracks. Can you give me an idea of what else it needs to make it sound quiet again, or at least normal... HELP:eek:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Leanne Go to Quoted Post
I have this Maytag dryer and it starting squealing very loudly and after several months, my husband has worked on it and replaced the roller the holds the drum? He then put it back together and now it sounds like it has metal on metal rubbing, and goes "tha thump, tha thump". My husband say the drum is out of round and he doesn't know what else it needs . It sounds like a freight train on the tracks. Can you give me an idea of what else it needs to make it sound quiet again, or at least normal... HELP:eek:

Leanne,

There are several things your husband needs to check :

First, is the squealling noise gone ?

When he dismantles the unit again, he may want to clean and lubricate the roller shafts, idler pulley shaft, and drum glides. with sintered bearing lube and silicone grease.

He will need to check the felt seals on both bulkheads, for objects stuck in the felt, also check for holes and tears.

The "Freight Train" noise, is a little disturbing, I can only guess at this point,

That type of noise could be, something in the blower, a broken blower wheel,

Or a totally warn out idler pulley bearing and shaft assembly, and the front glides are warn out and the drum is a metal on metal surface when it tumbles.

The drums, in this style unit are not perfectly round, they never have been,and I don't think you need to replace it.

Part number: AP4373393
Part number: AP4373393

Part number: AP4043265
Part number: AP4043265

Part number: AP4037304
Part number: AP4037304

I'm really sure, He'll find the problem in one of these areas, and have you up and running quietly in no time,

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
Leanne  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:26:30 AM(UTC)
Leanne

Groups: Registered

Thank you. the Squealing is gone, it's just the metal on metal sounds, and "tha thump tha thump, etc. " The metal on metal is very loud.. You know how a train on tracks has a repeating click to the train..that's it...but is minor to the metal on metal sounds. I pass this information on to my husband and get the parts ordered... thanks again....
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 9:23:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thumping is usually a rear drum support roller going out of round.
There are two of them. Also check their shafts for wear

Part number: AP4008534
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply