Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjac3585  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 5:48:36 PM(UTC)
kjac3585

Groups: Registered

The dishwasher will pump out most of the water but stops prematurely. I have put the drain line into the sink to make sure it was not a garbage disposal issue. I have poked around to see if anything could be clogged and nothing seems to be clogging anything. I did not remove go as far as the pump impeller nor did I remove the spray arm, if that matters.

I do not see this piston and nut anywhere on my machine. There is nothing in the rear on inside of the dishwasher like on some models that show this cover screen that runs the width of the unit. The pump and the solenoid all seem to work fine, it just stops draining before its time.

any ideas? Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:06:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I was able to find the parts breakdown on the Sears Parts site.

Remove the sump cover and check it for debris.
Be careful as there is often broken glass in the sump.

The parts breakdown does show a fine filter attached to the left hand sie of the sump. Perhaps this is clogged up'

To remove the water from the unit a shop vac, siphon hose, sponge and turkey baster or a combination of them come in handy.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kjac3585  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:53:20 AM(UTC)
kjac3585

I removed the Sump Cap #508 on the sears website and found nothing inside the Sump Inlet #505 except water. The second part from the left in the Impeller #430 part did not appear to have any obstructions either.

I can't seem to find the fine filter on the left side of the pump. The only fine filter I see is connected to the spray arm #507. I think it's worth noting that this part (#507) was misaligned. The tube on part #507 fits into the rubber tube on the top of item #505 Sump Inlet. Instead, it was pulled out of the Sump Inlet and sitting to the side. I put it back into the tube, but this didn't seem to fix my problem.

The solenoid seems to disengage too early. The pump sounds like it still trying to pump the remaining water out but before it can the solenoid has shut. The pump continues to run for maybe 20 seconds or so before stopping.

Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: Actually, when I press the start/reset button again, after the rinse cycle I use for testing, the solenoid opens and the pump sounds like its trying to pump water out but it can't move the last few cups of water that remain on the bottom. I've even held the solenoid open when it closes to see if the pump will pump it out and it just won't. I'm lost at the moment :\
kjac3585  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:31:18 AM(UTC)
kjac3585

With the dishwasher turned off, if I push the solenoid armature down (opening the valve) all the excess water pours right out the drain line with ease. So i'm wondering if there is a problem with the pump or inbetween the pump and the valve. Do you think the pump is losing its prime? How would I check this...

EDIT: is there something that tells a dishwasher how much water to keep inside at all times? Maybe this has gone bad...
denman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:37:44 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The only fine filter I see is connected to the spray arm #507.
I messed up here.
I was looking at 510 (Chamber Coil) and read the description for 507 (Fine Filter).
I do not know what the Chamber Coil is doing and cannot find any info on it.
Hopefully someone else with this info will jump in.

[COLOR="Blue"]is there something that tells a dishwasher how much water to keep inside at all times?[/COLOR]
Not as far as I know. Drain is just a timed event.
Since you have checked the unit for clogs/restrictions, it does sound like the water is somehow by passing the sump when pumping out.
This is basically what the piston & nut on many units does. If it does not seal properly some of the water is directed back into the tub instead of out the drain hose.
Perhaps the Chamber Coil is doing something like that.
It is probably worth pulling it and trying to figure out what the heck it's purpose is and how it works.
With luck someone else will let us know.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kjac3585  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:59:55 AM(UTC)
kjac3585

here is a picture from another angle on the chamber coil. It is actually upside down in this picture. UserPostedImage

I'm not sure exactly how it works...but the filter ball sits on top of the ( shaped cutout in between the two chambers. My best guess is when water is pushed through this piece it pushes the ball upwards plugging the tube connected to the fine filter so that water will not enter the inside of the dishwasher but instead will make its way out the drain hose. but honestly, the sump inlet tube that the fine filter tube fits into is not that snug at all... i don't see why water wouldn't just spray inside the dishwasher because of that...damn this thing is confusing haha

Also, If the draining is a timed event...doesn't that mean that the dishwasher could be letting in more water than it supposed to? That is why there is always 2 or so cups extra water left behind?
n8mack33  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:54:58 PM(UTC)
n8mack33

I'm having the exact same problem. I hope we can figure something out. I'm still figuring out how to take things apart.
n8mack33  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:58:49 PM(UTC)
n8mack33

How do you hold the solenoid open. It doesn't seem to be on the parts list.
colickyclown  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 6:58:22 AM(UTC)
colickyclown

I had this problem -- where my GE Quite Power 3 (model: GHDA480N10WW) would only partially drain ... sometimes more, sometimes less.

Mine has no piston and nut assembly. The check valves are just rubber flaps and it has two motors: one for washing/grinding, one for draining. I'm not sure the mechanical design could get any simpler. After checking all the parts over for proper operation, it was clear everything was working properly (putting it in service mode really helps -- mine came with a slip of paper tucked into one of the legs with the schematic, some basic troubleshooting steps, and details on service mode operation). I was baffled to the point of thinking I should blame some sort of timing fault in the control unit, but then while troubleshooting it, I saw THE CORN.

Ah, CORN, that ubiquitous side dish that not only passes through your digestive system intact, but also passes through the Power Quiet 3 grinding pump intact.

The corn, apparently, was getting hung up in the middle of the drain hose, slowing water flow so that the time allotted for the drain cycle was not long enough to push all the water out at the slower rate.

The hose that came with mine is just a very poor choice: the inside diameter is 1/2 inch in diameter and it is corrugated on the inside. Fortunately it is translucent so I could see stuff flow through (or not). I ran the thing a couple of times and watched stray corn kernels get hung up inside, the water flow rate plummet, and the drain cycle complete with water still in the dish washer. When I ran it with the unit completely clean (i.e., no CORN), it drained properly.

I replaced the drain hose with one with a larger inside diameter and that is smooth on the inside and the dish washer drains perfectly now.

As a side note: I think it might be washing better now as well. I suspect any larger food particle (e.g., BEANS) would get hung, at least temporarily. I hypothesize that often a little water was remaining from the wash cycle and getting blown back onto the dishes in the final rinse, thus leaving food particles inside my glasses to be consumed again by the less observant. I think it drained in the end as the rinse drain cycle, or late wash drain cycle, knocked loose the food particle hung up in the drain hose.
TheRedBaron  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:59:18 PM(UTC)
TheRedBaron

Hi Folks,

I just thought I would share this, because I finally found the problem to my GE Quiet Power 3 which was not draining 100% either. I saw a lot of hate towards GE on the forums, but for me, I actually found that the problem was a dude installing it wrong when I bought my new house.

The way my dishwasher works is that the dishwasher's drain requires either an air gap (builder did not install one) or a high pipe bend (essentially the drain pipe must go near the highest point of the sink so that when the disposer does fills up, the stink water doesn't fall down to the dishwasher.) And that was my problem, the water kept creeping down to the bottom of the dishwasher every time the disposer would fill up a little bit. This cause the dishwasher to STINK.

Apparently, the dude installing it didn't know this (-_-) even when the hole for the high pipe was already drilled. So I just replaced the pipe to go high up, and after that, it seems to be working.

Hope this helps, cheers.
Baron
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply