Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BDL68  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:33:41 PM(UTC)
BDL68

Groups: Registered

I'm working on my Maytag (side by side fridge with bottom drawer freezer)ice maker and am having trouble removing the plastic side panel that stops the drive assembly from sliding out. The drive motor activates when ice is requested via the lever on the door but the fork doesn't turn. It acts as if it is bound but can be turned by hand...I'm guessing there's a relay of sorts in there but I don't want to break the side cover. Any tips to keep me from breaking it? It's part #21 in the diagram. Thanks, Larry.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:22:17 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

I have slept since I've removed one of these covers, and also don't have the service literature at this present location/time; but this may help you diagnose:
On your control panel: 1. Press and hold the Door Alarm keypad.
2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Up keypad. 3. Release the Door Alarm keypad and wait three seconds.
[COLOR="Blue"]The Freezer Display should now read, "SE", confirming you are in the Service Test Mode[/COLOR]
Press the Refrigerator Temperature UPagain to confirm entry into the Service Test Mode. [COLOR="blue"]The display should now read, "101" in left display and numeric or dashes in right display[/COLOR].
Press the Freezer UP, or the Freezer Down keypads to toggle through the test numbers, until you reach "161". [COLOR="blue"]This is the Cube Dispenser Test[/COLOR].
Display shows the state of the auger motor (ON or OFF). In this mode, you can control the ice auger motor without opening the chute door, by pressing the Actuator pad.
The unit will exit the Test Mode, after several seconds of non-activity.
BDL68  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:52:06 PM(UTC)
BDL68

Thanks for the reply. My unit doesn't function exactly as you've described. I get no results when pressing the alarm and ref temp up button. By holding the door alarm button only I can access the following:
F_C----- *F
AL------
LL------- 5
SAB------ OFF allows display and interior lites to function
SAB------ ON kills the display and int lites

When I request ice via the door I hear a pronounced 'CLUNK' as if there is voltage but the motor is siezed. Again, I can turn the motor fork by hand. How should I proceed?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:16:02 PM(UTC)
magician59

In order to get it into Service Test Mode, You have to press the Door Alarm; and while you're holding it, press Ref. Temp. Up; THEN release the Door Alarm, while maintaining pressure on the Ref. Temp. Up for three seconds.
Very carefully re-read the instructions, and note that there is a difference between "Refrigerator Temperature Up/Down" and "Freezer Temperature Up/Down".
BDL68  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:24:14 PM(UTC)
BDL68

OK Magician, thanks for sticking with me. I retested and it came out as you said with 161 code showing 'off' until I press the flap, then 'on' appears. I'm assuming that this is a normal situation leading to another test? I appreciate your help. Larry
magician59  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:53:51 AM(UTC)
magician59

In the test, did you hear the auger motor turn when you pressed the actuator pad?
BDL68  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:55:06 AM(UTC)
BDL68

No. No sound while in test mode, only a clunk from auger motor area when in normal operating mode.
BDL68  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:20:33 PM(UTC)
BDL68

I figured out how to remove the entire unit. There are a pair of wires going to the auger motor, white and pink. The motor is labled 115v so I should expect to see 115v across the 2 wires when the acuator pad is pressed, right? I'm seeing 103v on the pink wire to ground and 122v pink to grd with actuator pad depressed. I'm only seeing 2.2v across the two wires with lite switch closed and .5v with lite on. Is there a resistance test to verify the motor is good? I also notice a little connector on the white lead possibly a fusible link? I know I'm getting close here...
BDL68  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:55:27 PM(UTC)
BDL68

Found the problem. Neutral wire wasn't making contact at the auger motor. Reassembled everything and switched ice maker on. Anyone know how long it should take for the tray to start filling? I thought it would fill right away but it's been about 45 mins and still no water...:confused:

UPDATE:Took about 2 hours and...Kachunk! We have ice!
magician59  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 6:01:26 AM(UTC)
magician59

Manufacturer recommends a 24 hour wait. It won't even make ice until the freezer compartment is below 17 degrees. By the way: you saved yourself a couple hundred dollars on service calls. Well done!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply