Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dante_M  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 7:20:33 PM(UTC)
Dante_M

Groups: Registered

Oven stopped working a few weeks ago and needed to replace the bake element. Broil was working, and if memory serves, it was going on during the Bake cycle. The bake element had a nice hole burned in it, so it looks like something dripped on it and shorted it out.

Replaced the bake element the other day and it works fine. Wife used it and reported it didn't seem to cook as well, so I thought temp. may need to be recalibrated. Running the oven, I noticed that only the bake element comes on and not the broil. From what I can tell, the elements should cycle back and forth. And the broil element works fine in the Broil mode, so no problem with the element. Oh, and the temps were running a little hot; yet the food was undercooked.

Any ideas what could be wrong or what tests I can do? I have a multimeter and can check those L1/L2 voltages, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

zcimba  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:10:46 AM(UTC)
zcimba

broil come on only 120v half power duing bake sounds like short in bake elewment could have damaged control
Dante_M  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:58:15 AM(UTC)
Dante_M

OK, I took some more measurements. This time I just took the voltage directly across each element. Confirmed no problem in broil mode with 240v across. And it bake mode got 240v across bake element and zero across broil. Relay was clicking on and off and bake element likewise was going between 0 and 240. However, every couple of cycles the broil element did go on and had 240v, but only stayed on for literally 3 seconds. Behaved the same at 350 deg and 450 deg. Read somewhere that it is common for broil to go on proportionately much less than bake in an alternating cycle like this, but this is so short, I wonder how it can make a difference. The schematic does say the broil element alternates with bake element in the bake cycle, but doesn't say how much.

So, my question is that yes, I have 240v, but since the broil goes on so briefly, is that an indication of a bad EOC board after all?

Link to my model's service data sheet http://manuals.frigi...d/316441491.pdf

Thanks,

Dante
rhapak  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:38:16 AM(UTC)
rhapak

Hi,
Just wanted to know if you ever found the problem, I've got the exact same problem with a GE.

Any help would be appreciated!
Rod
Dante_M  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:04:28 PM(UTC)
Dante_M

Advice I got was to let it go since my wife saw no problems with the oven, and usually that is the key indicator! Also, found out the ratio between the elements is very approximate and from feedback on another forum there was consensus that I was fine. I suppose once you gain a little knowledge you risk becoming an appliance repair hypochondriac!

Hope your issue was resolved as well! Now I need to get my money back on that EOC!

Dante
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply