Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
krandyyy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:18:58 PM(UTC)
krandyyy

Groups: Registered

The rear bearing to Whirlpool Duet Steam washer I have has failed in less than 18 months. I purchased an extended warrantee through the store and the warrantee office says that I overloaded the machine bending the shaft causing the bearing to fail. I don’t see how this can do this if you’re only washing things the machine was made to wash. The owner’s manual states that you can fill the tub full of clothes. The only time I see the term “overloaded” in the manual is when they state that the clothes will not get fully cleansed if you over load it. They don’t qualify what type of fabric your putting in there but there is a suggested loading that is generous based on how our washer is used. Normally our washer is ¾ full of dry clothes at the start of a load. Am I missing something or are they trying to get out of an expensive repair? Just want to know if I operated the machine incorrectly.
I personally do not believe that we overloaded the washer and feel that there is another reason for the failure. Is this a repair that a person with intermediate mechanical skills could do? Are there other parts that should be replaced based on this failure? Or is it even worth it. I’m disappointed in Whirlpool and feel like moving on.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 3:34:29 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This is a fairly new model but based on experience with the earlier versions I would not attempt this repair. What I would do is insist on the store honoring the service contract. I do not think your problem is overloading given the historical problems with front load washers, and if the seller will not honor your warranty I would pursue it with the BBB, Attorney General of your state and any Consumer Protection Agencies that exist in your area.
Drex  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 9:22:13 AM(UTC)
Drex

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer model WFW9500TC01 which I bought in April of 2008. This month, three years later, the bearings failed. Prior to the bearing failure the washer made a loud noise during the spin cycle. The washer received light to average use, just my wife and I. I am going to order parts and repair the washer myself. I do have a question as to which part ( the outer tub assembly or the inner basket assembly) contains the bearing assembly?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 12:31:43 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I have only worked on the older versions of this machine, but unless there was a damatic re-design the bearings are pressed into the outer tub.

You can confirm this when you order the parts. Good luck with your repair.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2011 12:38:13 PM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Bearings do not make a loud noise, but a spider support strut will. Usually they will break and punch a hole in the rear shell.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply