Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ray3059  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:18:59 PM(UTC)
Ray3059

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool gas dryer wont light. Blower and drum work fine. How do I determine if it is the igniter or if it something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 4:32:14 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: Ray3059 Go to Quoted Post
Whirlpool gas dryer wont light. Blower and drum work fine. How do I determine if it is the igniter or if it something else?

Here is what I would do first. Unplug the dryer, and take the back off. Once the back is off, you will see a small thin, white part. It will be an inch and a half long, by a half inch wide, and will be held in by one screw, and have 2 wires coming to it. Take the 2 wires off, and put the terminal ends of the wires together, and put some tape around them to keep them together, and to be sure they don't hit metal, and then plug the dryer in and see if it works. If so, DO NOT !!!! Run the dryer that way. That is a saftey. This is for diagnostics only. If it does not work, let me know. If it does worklet me know. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Ray3059  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 6:15:31 AM(UTC)
Ray3059

I checked continuity in the fuse it's good. No flame
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 6:43:57 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

jump out the flame sensor on the left side of the flame tube, and see if the ignitor comes on. If not, replace the ignitor. Tom. ApplianceEducator.com
Ray3059  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 8:43:29 AM(UTC)
Ray3059

where is the igniter located?
Ray3059  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 9:02:31 AM(UTC)
Ray3059

I have removed the ignitor and ordered a new one this morning. Should I check resistance, if what should it read.There is contiunuity through the radiant sensor. I presume its normally closed.
kayakcrzy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:23:22 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

I have removed the ignitor and ordered a new one this morning. Should I check resistance, if what should it read.There is contiunuity through the radiant sensor. I presume its normally closed.

You know Ray, sometimes on some conponents, taking a resistance is not totally accurate. That is why on those gas conponents, I always jump them out. Then you know for sure. It sounds like you have it. Let me know. Tom
Ray3059  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:39:33 PM(UTC)
Ray3059

I got the new ignitor today and installed it. Still no flame. What now? Check the coils or replace them? What else can it be?
kayakcrzy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:26:09 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

I got the new ignitor today and installed it. Still no flame. What now? Check the coils or replace them? What else can it be?

Ray, you have to do this my way, so we can get you a dryer. If the ignitor comes on and there is no gas, it is most likely the coils, or possibly the whole gas valve. If the ignitor does not come on, then do it this way. We are going to systematically jump out each conponent till the gas comes out. Now unplug the dryer, and take the 2 wires off of the thermal fuse (The little white one in the back) Put the two terminal ends together, and put some tape around it, so it does not hit metal, and keeps the terminal ends together, plug it in, and see if it works. If so, replace the thermal fuse. If not, unplug the dryer, and put the wires back on the thermal fuse, and then go inside, and do the same thing to the the flame sensor. Then plug it back in, and If it works replace the flame sensor, if not, then the coils on the gas valve, or the whole gas valve is the issue. Do it this way. Also, tell me if the ignitor comes on. Tom
Ray3059  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:04:52 AM(UTC)
Ray3059

Tom
I have jumped out all components to the except the coils. Ignitor comes on momentarily but the gas does not flow. How do I determine if it is the coils or the valve itself?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply