Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kyle  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:36:22 PM(UTC)
Kyle

Groups: Registered

The upper oven preheat stays at 100 degrees, the upper broil is okay. The lower oven preheat is okay.

thank you for any assistance!
Kyle
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:30:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Kyle,

Most likely the problem is a bad Bake igniter.

- The part number for the igniter is AP205873

Gene.
Kyle  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:35:15 AM(UTC)
Kyle

Hi Gene,

thanks for the response; I have the new bake igniter. Any hints on installation? I see it in upper oven; do I need to take off the back of the oven, and that large metal shield on the upper oven top?

thanks again,
Kyle
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:20:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the oven bottom panel. If it would not enough then remove the back panel too.

Gene.
Kyle  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:53:51 PM(UTC)
Kyle

Hi Gene,

Are you sure about removing the oven bottom panel? I need to replace the bake igniter in the upper oven. It looks like it is screwed to the burner that runs along the top of the upper oven, and has two wires going though the back of the upper oven. I was thinking I needed to remove the oven back since I cannot access those wires unless I do. The igniter in the repair kit has two wires going into a wire harness, and the new igniter lead wires are not insulated. The lead wires on the old one in the top oven have the insulation; I guess I'll have to cut off the harness on the new one and slip the insulation over the wires and then use ceramic wire nuts behind the oven back.

thanks for your time Gene,
Kyle
Kyle  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 3:03:43 PM(UTC)
Kyle

I replaced the upper oven bake igniter, and it will still not preheat. The bottom oven preheats okay. Do you have a suggestion for the next thing I should look at?

thanks again,
Kyle
Gene  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 4:16:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Does the igniter glow? If it does not then disconnect the igniter wires and check for 120VAC while the control calls for the upper oven Bake.

Gene.
Kyle  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:06:42 PM(UTC)
Kyle

No, the igniter does not glow. I disconnected the upper oven bake igniter wires and they test negative for 120VAC when upper oven bake is called for. I have replaced the electronic control module, and the upper oven bake igniter wires continue to test negative for 120VAC when upper oven bake is called for.

Do you have a suggestion for what's next to look at? Could it be a power supply problem; does the power supply split for upper and lower ovens? I do hear a relay click when upper oven bake is called for, but I do not hear gas flowing the way I do when lower oven bake is called for. Could it be a clogged upper oven gas nozzle? or something else?

thanks Gene,
Kyle
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:44:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Kyle,

Remove the red wire from the igniter and check for 120VAC between this wire and ground while the control calls for upper Bake.

Remove the white wire from the upper oven gas valve and check for 120VAC between this wire and the red wire from the igniter while the control calls for upper Bake.

Post the results.

Gene.
Kyle  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:11:03 PM(UTC)
Kyle

Remove the red wire from the igniter and check for 120VAC between this wire and ground while the control calls for upper Bake.

Both wires going to the igniter are yellow, one from the control at the top and one from the bottom (from the power supply?, I don't know) Anyway, when upper oven bake is called for, both yellow wires are negative for 120VAC.

Remove the white wire from the upper oven gas valve and check for 120VAC between this wire and the red wire from the igniter while the control calls for upper Bake.

I removed the white wire from the upper oven gas valve and tested for 120VAC between it and the (yellow) wire from the igniter while control was calling for uppper Bake. Also negative.

The bake igniter seems to be in line between the control and the upper gas valve. Is this the correct logic: 1. control calls for upper bake, 2. bake igniter receives power, 3. when it is hot enough, igniter sends power to gas valve to open it and burner lights.?

Shouldn't the bake igniter be receiving power as soon as control calls for bake? I thought this was the case, so I replaced the control board, but that must not have been it.

thank you for helping me Gene,
Kyle
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply