Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dnchrist  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:21:28 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

Groups: Registered

RE: Montgomery Wards, Freezer on top.

I am getting ready to give my old refrigerator to a single mom that just moved into town.

I noticed it was not cooling or freezing properly. I also noticed ice buildup on the floor of the freezer compartment. It is also on the evaporator - I can see it through the air vents.

It looks like I may have a defroster circuit problem, but I want to get all the ice off the evaporator quickly to see if that is the problem.

How do I get the floor out of the freezer compartment to get at the evaporator and fan? I figure it slides & clips, but I don't want to break it trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:33:17 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

I can't get your model number to pull up. But generally, start by locating the defrost control, under the control panel in the frig part. see if you can advance the timer until the unit shuts off, if after a full turn on the little knob (which normally requires a screw driver) the unit doesn't turn off then the defrost timer is the problem.
If it does shut off listen for the sound of ice popping and maybe a sizzle sound. Remove the rear panel in the freezer. if you don't hear that locate the defrost thermostat (bimetal) should be around the evaporator coils, it's a little round part about the size of a quater and about an inch thick with 2 wires attached. Test that with an ohm meter for continuity while it's really cold. If it has continuity then use a hair dryer to defrost the coils and inspect the heat element.
Let us know what you find.
Nat
dnchrist  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:36:08 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

Thanks for the reply. I can get it to shut off just fine. What I can't do is melt the ice of the evaporator coils because I can't figure out how to get at the coils.
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:39:35 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Need to try to get it to shut down using the defrost timer, not the temp control. It's a defrost problem, which means the timer, defrost thermostat or the defrost element has failed. There should be some screws on the rear wall of the freezer compartment.
Nat
dnchrist  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:44:22 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

Sorry, I misread your post. I didn't find the timer control. What I did find, on the ceiling of the refrigerator part at the back was a disk about 3 inched in diameter. It looks like it should turn, but it doesn't. I poped it off, and found it should turn and press on what feels like a micro switch. not sure what it does, but I'll be able to tell more if I can ever get that dang freezer floor out!

Thanks!

Dave
dnchrist  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:46:33 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

No screws. shouldn't the whole floor just slide forward? I can see a seam between it and the walls, I just can't figure out how to get it out. I took the control panel loose to see if that was holding it, but it looks like it should just slide right over the control panel and out the front.
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:53:39 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

without being able to see the actual unit, i'm giving you the most common descriptions of how to access it. I'm still looking for a site to find your exact breakdown of the unit. So far this is as close as I've found
HMG-191360
Nat
dnchrist  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:54:32 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

I got it out! It does just pull out, it was held by the ice.

Now I'm going to try to thaw it out.

Thanks!

Dave
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:01:48 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Before you thaw it out, look for the defrost timer near the compressor. see if you can make it kick into defrost. and check the defrost thermostat which looks like it's probably fairly flat with 2 wires.
Nat
dnchrist  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:02:11 PM(UTC)
dnchrist

The disk I was talking about turned out to be the freezer temp control which controls an air door between the freezer and the refrigerator. It is functioning fine. I never did find the timer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply