Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davmitch  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:56:06 PM(UTC)
davmitch

Groups: Registered

our dishwasher trips the 20 amp circuit breaker. I ran it today and waited for something to happen and about 15 minutes into the beginning of the cycle I heard a 'pop' which seemed to come from the door and the control panel went out and the breaker tripped in the basement. I cant say for sure if the pop came from the dishwasher, but it sounded like it. the day before the same thing happened to my wife who said she smelled a faint odor of burning. The breaker was tripped yesterday, I reset it, the panel was working and the unit drained when I hit cancel. I then tried to run a new cycle and the breaker tripped again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:39:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find a WTSQ1, the following is for XTSQ1.
Please check your model number.

Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GU2700XTSQ1 Undercounter Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Tech%20Sheet%20-%20W10130990.pdf

Here is a manual. I think it should be close to your unit but am not sure about it.
https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/52521bdbd0ef763c85256cbc00520548/$FILE/8178022.pdf

Remove the kick plate and the door panel and take a look for any signs of overheating. Since your wife smelled smoke, with a little luck there will be something obvious.

Check the various parts with a meter for resistance. Be sure to disconnect at least one side of any part you are checking as this prevents you from reading an alternate/parallel circuit path.
One of the wax motors would be at the top of the list.

It is strange that it did not blow the non-resettable bi-metal on the control board.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
davmitch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:26:00 PM(UTC)
davmitch

Groups: Registered

thank you for your reply to my post....you have the right model #xtsq1...
what do you think about it maybe being a short in the heater/heating element? My wife said it smelled like a fragrance odor with a slight burn to it. Like a scented candle!I dont mean to be ignorant but...what is a wax motor?
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:15:25 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Doubtful that it will be the heat coil, they blow open not short.

A wax motor is sort of like a slow moving solenoid. There is a piece of wax in a cylinder , this is behind a piston. There is also a small heater. When the heater is turned on the wax melts and expands. This then pushes the piston out. When the heater is turned off the wax contracts and pulls the piston back in.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply