Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jonnyb8390  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:07:27 PM(UTC)
jonnyb8390

Groups: Registered

Sorry couldn't be more specific in the Title.
About 3 weeks ago, my timer went so we had to monitor how long our loads were in there. Then - and I suspect it's unrelated - the dryer won't run. It wants to begin spinning when I turn the "start" knob, but will not "catch". I suspect it's a belt?
Any takers?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:53:24 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for DLB2450R models | AppliancePartsPros.com

GE's are a pain to get info on, they like to keep it a secret.
If you do not have a wiring diagram look in the control console, they like to store them in there. Unfortunately I will not be able to get one.

Here is a good link on general dryer repair.
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryers.html
Take a look at 5 GE units
Then 28 Wiring Diagrams
Yours is likely close to older style electric.
[COLOR="Blue"]
About 3 weeks ago, my timer went so we had to monitor how long our loads were in there.[/COLOR]
Not sure what you mean by "went"
Check that it does not advance in either timed and auto modes.
It gets power through different paths for each of these modes.
In timed dry it gets power directly from the line (Neutral to L1 120 volts) through a set of timer contacts.
In auto modes it gets its power through the heating element when the heater is shut off. The resistor in this line reduces the voltage from 240 to 120 volts.

[COLOR="Blue"]Then - and I suspect it's unrelated - the dryer won't run. It wants to begin spinning when I turn the "start" knob, but will not "catch". I suspect it's a belt?[/COLOR]
Sorry but I do not understand.
What do you mean by "wants to begin spinning"
If it just hums then odds are the drum is jammed or you need a new motor.
If it is just a low hum then it could be the motor is running but the belt has broken but you will still have air flow and heat.
If you mean that it starts to spin and then stops once you release the start switch then it could be the centrifugal switch on the motor.
There are 2 centrifugal switches, they close when the motor gets close to operating speed.
One of them switches out the motor's start winding and also keeps the motro running (it is in parallel with the start switch)
The other switches in the heating element. This is to ensure that the heat does not come on before there is air flow.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jonnyb8390  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:47:42 AM(UTC)
jonnyb8390

Groups: Registered

At this point, I don't even care about the timer really. If I get the drum spinning again I'll really be pleased. Sorry about the lack of info on the post.

When I turn the start knob, I get a loud hum. After a little research, I suspected the motor and after pricing the part, I'm looking at a new dryer - and NOT GE.

I'll check it to see if it is jammed, it does appear to be a little loose and I'm not sure if it was like that before. Is the drum allowed to have a little movement on the door side? Should I be able to move the drum up and down about an inch? Doesn't seem likely, but I'm pretty sure this was an "economical" dryer that came with the home anyway.

Any recommendations for dryers that function like tanks? No bells or whistles, but can handle large loads and are reliable?

Thanks again for the links and info. Much appreciated.

Jon
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply