Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
4estlakemom  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 11:38:39 AM(UTC)
4estlakemom

Groups: Registered

A couple of weeks ago, my LG washer started to sound really loud during the spin cycle. Almost like a jet engine. I haven't seen any grease spots and the machine is not leaking.

Well, I had a repair person come today and was told the repair would be $697. (including the $85 to come here to look at it).
He walked into the laundry room and spun & shook the drum with his and and told me immediately that he knew the problem. He never touched anything else on the machine. I said to him "that was the fastest $85.00 I have ever spent!"
He needs to replace the rear shell with bearings, the spyder and flippers.
I paid $1,000.00 for this machine in Decmeber of 2007.

Am I getting ripped off? Would it be worth it to contact LG or Home Depot, where I purchased it?

The only part under warranty is the stainless steel drum.

HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Beth
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jjnemoiii  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 2:38:02 PM(UTC)
jjnemoiii

Beth,
First thing, even though it probably means another $85 with no fix, get a second opinion. Second, I know I would contact LG about the issue, thats a lot of money to spend on a washer that young. Ask them to send over one of their experts if they like, and he can determine what is wrong if they would like, assuming both repairmen think the same repairs are needed. If the two estimates say the same thing as far as what is wrong with your machine, ask LG to pay repair costs, most companies I've dealt with would if you press them eneough. If they will not work with you, remind them the sunday paper is full of ads with washers that are cheaper NEW that your repair costs. Ask them if they can recommend a different brand, one that will last longer that three years. Important, though - Leave that for the very last straw, appeal to their good side, I've had to press sometimes, but most times am happy with the answer I get.
Good Luck'
Joe
David F  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 11:32:50 PM(UTC)
David F

:(
To4estlakemom
Whist I have no personal experience with LG machines they are all basically built the same.
You can check yourself to see if the bearings have failed, just reach in and slowly turn the drum, it should turn nice and smoothly with very little noise. Should your get any sort of rumbling or grating sounds it indicates that the bearings have failed. Should the drum appear to ‘drop’ slightly at any point, or points, during a full revolution, that is an indication that the spider has failed. With the drum in a ‘dropped’ position try lifting the drum. Should you be able to lift the drum in that position but not as much as in a ‘none dropped’ position that is a further indication that the spider has failed.
LG have something of a reputation for expensive spare parts so $700.00 with taxes and labour may not be that far out. A more experienced repairer can hopefully give a better insight into that aspect.
To see what might have caused this please see my thread ‘Spider Corrosion And Foul Odours In Front Load Washers’ in this forum.
Any questions on it please ask
As a point of interest your particular model is ‘no longer available’.
Sorry I cannot be more optimistic.
Should you wish to see what failed spiders look like visit http://****************.com/wp/...erie-of-metallic-misery/
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply