Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kenworth  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:20:16 PM(UTC)
Kenworth

Groups: Registered

I have a brown film on the floor at the back of the washer and it looks like it is coming from the bearing area. The back of the outer tub is being cut into by the pulley. That is why I think that it is the bearing since it looks like brown (rust color) at the outside of the bearing.
I have seen the posts about another model of washer but am not sure if the procedure, parts, etc. would be the same. Is there a step by step manual as to the procedure for disassembling and assembling the model that I have? I have hand and power tools. Would one average mechanically minded person be able to replace it without having other hands involved?
Thanks for your time and help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:24:20 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't know where you can get a complete step by step procedure.
But one person can do the job. The question is- "is it the pulley?"
do you hear a loud grinding noise while spinning?
It could be more than or something other than a pulley issue.
Nat
Kenworth  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:59:46 PM(UTC)
Kenworth

Yes I do you hear a loud grinding noise while spinning, like it is going to take off! The pulley is digging into the tub in a couple of areas and there is play when I move the pulley from side to side.
iamigor5@yahoo.com  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:52:30 PM(UTC)
iamigor5@yahoo.com

i can tell you almost for sure its a tub bearing this is a very involved job that you probably want no part of plus the expense is difficult to justify
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:43:07 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If is sounds like an air plane taking off then it's probably the rear bearing part number AP2578105 and you would want to replace the pulley too, part #AP2107800.
It is a pain in the rear job, but with the cost of the machine I always thought it was worth it. Around $200 in parts is a lot cheaper that $1000 for a new washer.
But that's a personal call.
Kenworth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:28:37 PM(UTC)
Kenworth

When I checked on the price for the bearing and housing it was $167. The appliance parts store asked if the shaft was good or not. They said that the shaft was like $215 if it was damaged. If the pulley looks OK, should it be replaced with the tub and bearing anyway? Thanks for your help.
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:27:03 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If you replace the rear bearing I would replace the pulley. But yes make sure the shaft on the tub doesn't look bad. Makes it a lot higher repair if you have to change the tub too.
If you have to change all of that it might be better to find a "scratch & dent" store and buy a new washer for about half the price of a new one and most have a 1 year warranty minus any cosmetics.
nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply