Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sixmenn  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 4:48:50 AM(UTC)
Sixmenn

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Gas oven model # 362.71665691, serial 7V11219SP.

The gas stove top works fine, no problem. But the oven only works sometimes. We removed it recently to refinish the hardwood floors, (and while in the garage we gave it a good cleaning, too) and after reinstalling it, it now only works once in a while. When turned on, the ignitor glows orange constantly, but the burner will not light no matter how much time it's given. Every once in a while it will work.

Any ideas what part to get to replace it? I'm pretty handy, so I'd be willing to replace this myself if possible.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kmguillotte  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2010 7:09:43 PM(UTC)
kmguillotte

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Sixmenn Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kenmore Gas oven model # 362.71665691, serial 7V11219SP.

The gas stove top works fine, no problem. But the oven only works sometimes. We removed it recently to refinish the hardwood floors, (and while in the garage we gave it a good cleaning, too) and after reinstalling it, it now only works once in a while. When turned on, the ignitor glows orange constantly, but the burner will not light no matter how much time it's given. Every once in a while it will work.

Any ideas what part to get to replace it? I'm pretty handy, so I'd be willing to replace this myself if possible.

this is a common issue -
One of two things happened: 1) your ignitor element is burning out b/c it is getting old, or 2) cleaner got on your ignitor.

Your ignitor gets power from your control board and when cold, has high resistance (thus low current getting through it). When it heats up (glows orange) it loses resistance and the current through it increases. Once it reaches a certain threshold, the current will tell the control valve to open and release the gas to the burner which the ignitor will then light. As an ignitor get old (or contaminated) it can increase resistance, and although still glowing red, it lets less current through and never opens the control valve. You can check your voltage at your ignitor to see if you get 120 volts... You can also check it's resistance to see if it is letting enough current through to open the control valve.

Replacing your ignitor element will likely solve your issue.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply