Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Methodical  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 7:24:24 AM(UTC)
Methodical

Groups: Registered

Hello.

I ordered 2 dryer drum support rollers and axles to replace a squeaky one (replacing everything while in there). In the Q&A part attached to the part, a technician responded to one of the questions (5th question) stating to use SBL lubricant on the roller axle (see WHIRLPOOL Drum Support Roller, part number: AP4008534). I spoke to a couple parts place locally trying to find this lubricant and they stated that they've never sold lubricant with the rollers and that the rollers don't need lubricant. I need confirmation one way or the other so that I do it right the 1st time.

Is it really necessary to use this lubricant on the roller axle or does the axle already come with some sort of lubricant on it?

Thanks...Al
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 8:56:09 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

In most cases, you don't need to replace the roller shafts, either. I have seen only one case in the last 5 years, where the shaft on one dryer was worn flat in a few places.

A lot of repair pros recommend using a lubricant on these; I don't use anthing that the lint will stick to. Just wipe the axles clean and you shouldn't have any problems.
Methodical  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:18:59 PM(UTC)
Methodical

Thanks for the reply. On Monday, I went inside to inspect for the squeal and found the right side roller was all rusted like. Also, I noticed the right side roller had some sort of sticky stuff on the shaft (seemed like some kind of lubricant). I cleaned both shafts and rollers and it runs well, but there's still a slight squeak every so often, so I ordered new rollers and the shaft. I don't know if the roller metal bearing is out of round or the shaft and that's why I am replacing them both since it's an inexpensive fix.

You said you don't use any lubricant that lint will stick to - which lubricant do you use?

Thanks...Al
magician59  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 5:49:40 PM(UTC)
magician59

I don't use any lubricant inside a dryer.
Methodical  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:33:41 AM(UTC)
Methodical

So I should be ok with just replacing the rollers and axles and not using any lubricant of any kind?

Thanks...Al
magician59  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:17:43 PM(UTC)
magician59

As long as the shafts are clean, and the rollers spin without dragging, you should be fine. If you feel you need to lubricate them, make sure you don't use any petroleum-based lubricants.
Methodical  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:53:09 PM(UTC)
Methodical

Thanks. I installed the axles and rollers and used some graphite on the axles. I don't know why I did not think of this before; used graphite for the little derby cars wheel axles to reduce friction.

Al.
#8 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2024 2:41:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I tried graphite powder. Squeaking again after 4 loads.

Greased with high temp moly grease, but noticed the noisy roller had the metal bearing section shifted a bit out one side of the plastic roller, so it may have been rubbing against the back support for the center pin. If it gets noisy again I may either epoxy it in to the roller, or just buy new rollers.

Edited by user Monday, January 22, 2024 3:44:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: update

#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2024 4:55:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have taken apart and repaired many many dryers over the last 15 years. One of the first things I do is take the rollers off the support shaft and check the shaft for wear. If there is significant wear I replace it or at least take it apart and rotate the worn side to the opposite orientation. On a gas dryer I always move the roller to the opposite side since the roller above the heater tube is going to see the most heat compared to the opposite side. Some rollers on the newer Maytags have a cheaper plastic hub roller that may start to split radially out from the hub area and is not worth while to try and reuse. As for lubricant I use a high temp axle bearing grease but sparingly.The one I have used for many years is MYSTIK hi temp with a rating of NLGI #2. A small can will last for at least 10 years. Hope this is of some help. Dont forget to check the idler roller for wear also . t may need to be replaced. I use a couple of drops of ATF on the shaft when I have access to it during teardownms
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply