Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2024 10:02:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,
I'm trying to replace the motor on a Kenmore 110.86983800 electric dryer. The original motor was part# 3388238 (had the "old style" muli-tab centrifugal switch and overload device). The available replacement motor apparently is part# 279787 which utilizes the newer style switch and overload... and is supposedly a universal replacement for several motor sku's.

The dryer unit has a yellow BK2 wire that attaches to one side of the belt switch... the other side of the belt switch is the dark blue 4M wire. The wiring diagram/instructions that were supplied with the replacement motor does not show what to do with the BK2 wire. This wire originates from the cycling t-stat and thermal fuse circuit. All of the instructional info I've been able to locate (and the info supplied with the replacement motor) cover wiring changes related to the "one terminal" overload device and changes involving the belt switch wiring... but they assume "two blue wires" from the belt switch and don't indicate what to do when a unit has the yellow BK2 wire. I'm already into this for a good bit of time (including research on-line) and don't want to make matters worse by damaging a component due to me possibly making a mistake (or bad guess) with the yellow wire.

Hopefully... one of you guys (or gals) have encountered this wiring version in the past,and know where to attach this particular wire. I do general repair and have replaced perhaps a couple dozen dryer motors over the past ten years but most involved a "direct fit" replacement motor and none have used this particular wiring layout. In this instance, I took this on at no charge to help out a friend of a friend...an older lady that recently lost her job due to facility relocation.
THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help or ideas
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.