Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2023 12:43:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was given this older Maytag top load washer model number LAT 8210 AWW with s/n A4101711 for possible repair. I was given this unit for scrap price. The previous owner stated that it would not agitate when it was turned on. It would fill with water as normal (I set it at the lowest water amount) but would not agitate. I used a jumper connection to provide 110 volt to the timer assembly at the timer motor input terminals and got the unit to activate for the spin function which it did to get the water out . In checking the timer it appears that this assembly is not working and cannot be repaired . A new timer is no longer available . I have a bunch of timers for various washers and dryers but wondered f anyone has ever tried to use a timer device from a dryer for a washer. the washer in question has 14 terminals with 8 on the top side 6 on the bottom, I have a timer with 15 terminals from a Maytag dryer I am going to try to use but looking for advice from other folks who might have tried this before. The Maytag timer assembly is a Model M460-G. This timer assembly runs smooth but I cannot identify all of the terminal connections as compared to the original. My very helpful local dealer said he could not even find a p/n for the original assembly. HELP
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 6:55:25 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Washer and dryer timers aren't really compatible.

Have you checked the lid switch assembly? It has a micro switch that likes to fail and blow the fuse next to the other switch.
https://www.searspartsdi...4pqgk-0026-464/id-207168

This is probably your timer number 207379. It should be on the old timer near the timer's motor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm...54d92:g:5GcAAOSwOrdknY8~

https://www.ebay.com/itm...bcc0e:g:V58AAOSwTg9kqFkP

Edited by user Saturday, July 8, 2023 6:58:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 10:41:44 AM(UTC)

United States

I did find a timer of the proper p/n that my local dealer found after all. I installed it and got no solution. I did check the lid switch and found no problems but I will recheck it and bypass it as a last resort. When I supply an alternate 110 volt supply I can get this unit to go into spin and pump the water out. It will just not agitate when it has filled with water. I am still scratching my head over this unit and am now wondering if the motor is the culprit .
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2023 12:33:15 PM(UTC)

United States

I dont give up easily and checked the lid switch closely again. This time I did find the operation was not as smooth as it should be and the terminal for the common wire connection was darkened due to possible overheat from years of use. I had a switch of this type in my junk drawer and installed it. I now can get the unit to fill properly but still cant get it to agitate. It will spin out the water but it does not agitate at the start of the cycle. Any further suggestions ?
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 9, 2023 10:54:28 AM(UTC)

United States

This is my unlucky day for the same problem. Today I was given another older Maytag washer model A612 with s/n 042938 NN that has the same problem as I reported a few days ago on a similar type older Maytag washer. It will fill with water and eventually spin out to get the water out but it will not agitate when the cycle starts. The pump belt was missing but I replaced it. The main drive belt is usable and seems to spin out the water properly . I am about to throw in the towel on these 2 units and welcome any suggestions anyone can offer. BTW all of the switches and wiring appear to be ok. help !!!
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2023 4:32:28 AM(UTC)

United States

I cannot find any info on the washing cycle for this type of older Maytag unit and wondered if someone can enlighten me as to what to expect from the cyclic activity. I think that the motor should reverse when it is called on to agitate after filling as compared to the rotation when spinning. When spinning the entire wash basket rotates but when agitating only the agitator turns back and forth relative to the wash basket. Can someone enlighten me?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply