Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aemike09  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 5:02:20 PM(UTC)
aemike09

Groups: Registered

Ok Hope to find some help here pulling my hair out with this one.... Got a washer and dryer pair from a friend that was sitting for a while because my washer went out and he wanted to get ride of them .... Long story short now i have a working washer but the dryer doesnt.... So being a automotive tech figured I would try and fix it myself and this is what I have come up with..... Checked all thermostats are ok ... went to ohm out ignitor and broke it so replaced it and still no flame but ignitor gets red hot glowing... So i then went and ohmed out the coils on top of the gas valves and the 2 terminal coil showed open i thought perfect i found the problem... Replaced both coils as they come as a set put dryer back together and still no flame.... It seems as if I can feel the valve click but no gas..... I also ohmed out the thermostat by the ignitor and it ohms out ok... Just not sure where to go with it from here thinking it must be the gas valve itself but would hate 2 spend the money and have it not fix it thanks for any help....
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:39:02 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
May be flame sensor stuck closed? (that's the device next to the ignitor). Does ignitor glow continuously? When ignitor gets glowing hot, flame sensor should open killing power to ignitor and allowing secondary gas valve to open. Ignitor will still be hot enough to ignite gas.

Eric
aemike09  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:57:39 PM(UTC)
aemike09

Thanks for the reply the ignitor will get glowing hot and then will slowly go out seems about a 5 -10 sec till its not glowing at all ..... then if i leave the machine running in about another 30 sec or so the ignitor will start glowing again doing the same thing but never get any flame.... Is there any way i can test the gas valve should the rods that the coils sit on move in any way thanks...
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:42:35 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Flame sensor is working normally. The part that moves to open/close the valve is internal, you can't see it move. Where did you get the coils from? There's a lot of junk parts out there and Iv'e heard of many occasions where cheap coils simply did not work but everything worked fine when genuine Whirlpool FSP parts were used.

Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
aemike09  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:53:41 PM(UTC)
aemike09

I got the coils form this site as a pair and replaced them as so ... Guess that is very possiable as that happens to me many times in the automotive field guess i may have to try another set they do ohm out ok but i know thats not always definitive....
aemike09  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:55:36 PM(UTC)
aemike09

ohh and the ones i put in are from the same link you posted
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:32:07 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You should hear two clicks in the gas valves. The primary valve opens as soon as you turn the dryer on, the secondary opens after the ignitor gets hot enough to open the flame sensor. If they are both working, then looks like a faulty valve assembly or gas pressure problem.

Eric
aemike09  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:34:06 PM(UTC)
aemike09

ok so i had a chance to mess with it for a little bit tonight and this is what I found... I checked voltage while running and while ignitor was being lite at the coils for the gas valve... At the 2 wire coil i got 120v at white wire constant and blue would go 120volts when ignitor would start to buzz on.... at the 3 wire coil white and blue go to 120volts with ignitor on and assuming black is some kinda ground does not really change much ..... so im assuming it must be a gas valve issue if those voltages sound right thanks for the help...
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 4:55:06 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Black wire is neutral. You should have one probe of your meter there for all measurements (or on a good ground). Both blue wires should be constant 120vac with dryer turned on. Both white wires should also be 120vac until heat from ignitor causes flame sensor to open. Voltage should drop significantly at that point.

Eric
aemike09  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2014 6:10:54 PM(UTC)
aemike09

Figured i would update ended up ordering a gas valve which has fixed my problem and the dryer works properly now... Just my luck one time I decided to Fix the dryer and I get what seems to be a more uncommon problem for my case but i am very happy that it is fixed.... Thanks for all the help I Very much appriciate it...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply