Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chefmango  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:49:25 PM(UTC)
chefmango

Groups: Registered

the problem is - after running on low heat for 3-4 minutes the breaker trips. What have I done - replaced the breaker, checked the element for grounding, checked for continuity on the element and all the fuses and thermostats, cleaned the motor. To complicate things, 1 out of 5 times the breaker will not trip. Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps the high limit thermo?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:41:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find info on this unit, so am assuming it is electric not gas as you checked for a grounded element. Usually a G in the Model Number is for gas.

Perhaps the high limit thermo?
Possible but I doubt it, the unit should be able to run on high heat without tripping the breaker as long as the breaker is the proper size. Only way it could do this is if when it opens it shorts to the frame.

I would pull the heater again and recheck it for any arc/weld marks on the inside of the case.
Could be the heating element is heating up, sagging and touching the case.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
chefmango  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:00:51 PM(UTC)
chefmango

Originally Posted by: chefmango Go to Quoted Post
the problem is - after running on low heat for 3-4 minutes the breaker trips. What have I done - replaced the breaker, checked the element for grounding, checked for continuity on the element and all the fuses and thermostats, cleaned the motor. To complicate things, 1 out of 5 times the breaker will not trip. Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps the high limit thermo?

OK I think the thing is possessed. By the way, my mistake on the model #, it is electric FGFL79QB. It will run on fluff air (no heat) so thinking it must be the element sag I replaced the element. Same result, runs for 5 mins. on heated air and trips the breaker. I am stumped.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:03:33 PM(UTC)
denman

Did a search on the Frigidaire site and here could find no info using the given Model Number. Then tried FGFL79 and all that comes up are stoves.

Cannot fault your logic in replacing the heating coil, I would have done the same thing. This one is going to be a pain.

I would try to get my hands on a clamp on current meter so you can monitor the amperage the unit is pulling. This will tell you if something is shorting or if the unit is pulling current that is too close to the breakers trip point.

Only other thing I can think of is perhaps one of the thermostats is opening and shorting to ground.
Try different temp settings and see if it trips ealier on higher temps.
You will have to let the unit cool down between tests for this to be valid.

I assume you have tried different timer cycles and times to rule out a timer issue.
chefmango  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:18:20 PM(UTC)
chefmango

denman thanks so much for your help - sorry my mistake again, it is a whirlpool not frigidaire. I am doing time trials now on different settings.
chefmango  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:46:14 AM(UTC)
chefmango

trips the breaker at 4 mins on every heated cycle, runs all day on non-heated fluff air - so must be a heating issue, the only thing left are the thermostats and shorting to ground when open - right? As a final check I'm going to replace the breaker again on the off chance that I got a bad one off the shelf.
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:02:22 AM(UTC)
denman

I will have to give this a think.

Just seems strange that the breaker blows at the same time independent of the temp cycle.
Without a wiring diagram I do not know how they are regulating the temperature. If the cycling thermostat only has two wires I would replace that one first.

Before replacing the breaker again I would shut off the mains and make sure the wires going to the breaker are tight and installed correctly. I would also open up the wall receptacle and check it's connections and the wire connections at the terminal block in the machine.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with a couple more ideas.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply