Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thundersloth  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:17:30 AM(UTC)
Thundersloth

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I've browsed through a lot of forums on this site and others, and I can't find an exact replica and solution to the problem I'm having.

I was washing a load of clothes, and when the washer got to the spin cycle, there was a loud buzzing sound (kind of like what electric hair clippers sound like when turned on), and the spin cycle stopped. I was left with wet clothes and a washer half full of water.

I drained the water and got the clothes out, and went to work on the washer. I read somewhere that it might just need a reset, so I unplugged it, let it sit, plugged it back in and then opened and closed the lid 12 times within a minute. From there I was able to get it to spin again. But when I close the lid and try to spin again, it just sits there and buzzes. It will eventually stop buzzing after a while and then I can't get it to do anything without unplugging it, waiting, and plugging it back in, but then I just get a buzz.

I took the case off the washer and checked all the parts I could access. I was able to turn the coupler and make the shaft move, but I really don't know what else I can look for down there. Everything is relatively new and clean, and I just don't have the expertise to know what to look for.

TL;DR - Washer won't spin, just buzzes. Would spin one time, but wouldn't after I closed the lid again.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:36:42 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Your washer does not have any kind of electronic control so there is no reset procedure for it. Most likely, something has got into the pump and is jamming it. With cabinet removed and lid switch bypassed, release the two clips that hold the pump onto the back of the motor and pull the pump off and push it out of the way. (leave hoses connected). If washer spins ok with pump removed, you will need to unhook the drain hoses from the pump and check for obstructions. If this is not the problem, we can check some other things.

Here's a video on how to bypass the lid switch:
Lid switch bypassing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Eric
Thundersloth  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:46:37 AM(UTC)
Thundersloth

I actually took the pump off when I had the cabinet removed, and checked it for blockages. I didn't find anything in there.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:13:25 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Try it with the pump off anyway to make sure it isn't seized. You must bypass lid switch for these tests. If it still won't work, try rotating the motor shaft by hand. CCW should cause the agitator to work and CW should cause the basket to spin. If you are able to do both, remove motor and set it on the floor still hooked up. Try spin mode to see if it runs. Place your foot on the motor before starting as it will tend to jump if it starts. If it just hums, spin the motor shaft by hand to see if it will start running. Check the motor connector for burned/corroded connections (unplug connector). Also check same on motor thermal overload switch.

Eric
Thundersloth  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:02:08 PM(UTC)
Thundersloth

Okay, so I don't have the means to make a jumper cable for the lid switch bypass right now, so I watched a video on how to remove and check the clutch. The clutch is fine. Once I put everything back together, the spin cycle worked until I opened and closed the lid, then it would just buzz again with no movement.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:18:14 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I think you may have a bad motor. Your model is one of the last Whirlpool made direct drive non-commercial units made and in the last production models, they used motors made in China and there have been problems with them. Check the label on the motor. If it's a model W10210608 and says "Made in China", it is suspect. This is a single speed motor. The replacement is a two speed model 661600. If you get this motor, you must also replace the tub support rear counterbalance spring as the new motor is heavier than your original. The spring is easy to replace. The only way to be sure the motor is the problem is to do some electrical troubleshooting which would be beyond your capability. If you get the motor from APP, you can return it if it doesn't solve the problem.

Whirlpool 661600 Direct Drive Washer Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool W10250667 Suspension Spring - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply