Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mcf57  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 4:26:32 AM(UTC)
mcf57

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model = LER7646EQO/14yrs old) and it seems to have stopped working. It was making a weird grinding type noise when you would start it. Once it started, it would still dry clothes fine, but then just last night, the start switch/mechanism seems to have gone as pushing it no longer starts the dryer. I checked the door and its fully closed, but still not turning on.

Now, it did start one more time about an hour later, but then didn't start again. I'm thinking it might be something simple (in the start switch or other area).

Since its a Whirlpool dryer & I have a local Sears parts store in my area, I'm hoping I can maybe get a part for it that might make it work again. I did this with my Whirlpool washer about a year ago. Got a $15 part from this Sears part store & got it working again. Hoping I can do the same with the dryer.

Any suggestions on what it could be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 8:03:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mcf57 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Whirlpool dryer (model = LER7646EQO/14yrs old) and it seems to have stopped working. It was making a weird grinding type noise when you would start it. Once it started, it would still dry clothes fine, but then just last night, the start switch/mechanism seems to have gone as pushing it no longer starts the dryer. I checked the door and its fully closed, but still not turning on.

Now, it did start one more time about an hour later, but then didn't start again. I'm thinking it might be something simple (in the start switch or other area).

Since its a Whirlpool dryer & I have a local Sears parts store in my area, I'm hoping I can maybe get a part for it that might make it work again. I did this with my Whirlpool washer about a year ago. Got a $15 part from this Sears part store & got it working again. Hoping I can do the same with the dryer.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

McF,
The "grinding noise" is somewhat worrysome, a bad motor winding or motor switch ?
The start switch wouldn't have a whole lot to do with a noisy motor at this point.

With the dryer not starting, If the motor has not failed, you'll need to check :
The door switch, operation and circuit(press the lever in the door opening and listen for a click noise.
The push to start switch, you'll need to check for a closed circuit across the two terminals, when you press the start button, it should be an open circuit when not pressed(R1 To R2).
The thermal fuse, located on the blower housing, It must have a closed circuit in order to allow voltage to the motor from the start switch.

Good Luck and Thanks,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply