Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake28  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:52:39 PM(UTC)
Jake28

Groups: Registered

Hello. I bought this dishwasher used and was told it's about 8 months old and works fine. It looks like it's in excellent condition except there is some caked soap inside. I installed it today and it doesn't start or fill. The following buttons do not light up:
Baked on Cookware
Normal

The Cancel button lights for a couple of minutes and I hear something happening when I push it (probably draining).

The previous owner had long fingernails and broke off the plastic cover on the two buttons that don't work along with the plastic on the Hi-Temp Scrub button.

I have the directions but they are unclear. I think they mean the door must be open to set and start the machine. (The buttons are on the top edge and partly concealed when the door is closed, but they can pushed with the door closed. I just don't know if that's the right way to use them.)

Where should I begin trouble-shooting. Is there a quick way to test the buttons to see if they are the problem?

Does it matter if there is soap or dishes in it to do a test run?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 2:54:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is your parts breakdown
Model Search

Here is the tech sheet
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208537797.pdf

The tech sheet gives info on checking the keyboard

I would remove the ribbon cable (Keyboard to control).
Visually check the tracks in the cable, check for hairline cracks across the conductors. A magnifying glass and bending it slightly helps. Check each track for continuity with a meter.

If above OK. Clean the cable connectors and the connectors on the boards with isopropyl alcohol (available at drugstores) or electronics cleaner (available at electronics supply stores and some hardware/auto stores). Use a toothbrush but be gentle. Do not reconnect till all the solvent has evaporated. Give it a try.

If still NG run the keyboard tests etc. in the tech sheet.
If meter test show keyboard is OK probably the control board is gone but it is always still a bit of a gamble unless you can actually find a fault on the keyboard.

You will need a meter. If you do not have one I would suggest you purchase one. You can get a decent digital multimeter for under $20.00. You do not need fancy though it is nice if the leads are a couple feet long.
If it saves ordering one unnecessary part it has paid for itself.
A couple things to watch when measuring ohms and continuity
1. Always remove power from the machine otherwise you could blow your meter.
2. Always disconnect at least one side of any device you are checking. This eliminates the possibility of measuring an alternate/parallel circuit path.
3. When checking for closed contacts and continuity use the lowest scale (Usually 200 ohms). Then try higher scales. This scale is 0 to 200 ohms so if the device you are measuring is 300 ohms this scale would show an open circuit which it is not, you are just measuring outside the scale's dynamic range.

There is a good STICKY at the start of this forum about it's use.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Jake28  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 6:27:01 AM(UTC)
Jake28

Thanks very much! Looks like a good project for my holiday break.
Vince13  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 8:15:14 PM(UTC)
Vince13

I have the exact same dishwasher with the same problem. I have pulled out the keypad and cleaned the contacts and switches and it worked for 2 weeks. Pulled the keypad again cleaned contacts and switches and worked for 4 days. I ordered a new key pad and popped it in and nothing same symptom. I cleaned the ribbon cable contacts and checked the continuity which was good. I put it back together and no go.

As I am sitting in front of it trying to figure out the diagnostics and timing diagram I wiggled the door microswitch and it started up. This makes no sense as with the door open as you select the buttons it blinks at you once start is pushed and begins washing once the door is closed. This thing is has me baffled. I am going to replace the switch which is cheap but still don't understand what is causing the problem.

Can the main controller be intermittent like that? I pulled and flexed the boards and ribbon cable, pushed on the connections with no luck.

Any other ideas, before it started to act up the wash cycle seemed to be getting extremely long almost 90 minutes, could a flakey thermistor be the culprit?

Thanks any advice would be appreciated.
Jake28  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2008 11:59:44 PM(UTC)
Jake28

I haven't started testing parts but discovered that if I pushed repeatedly and very hard on either the "baked on" or "normal" button, I could get them to go on. But pushing the start button, no matter how hard, didn't do anything. Eventually I pushed too hard (with a chop stick I had handy) and both the start and cancel buttons now seem messed up. Whoops. They don't have the spring they had before I overdid it. (Also, before wrecking those buttons, I poured water into the dishwasher and found that pushing the cancel button did cause it to drain.) At this time, both the 4 hr. delay and cancel button blink non-stop whether or not the door is open. Looks like I'll need to do some work on that keyboard, or replace it. My guess is that the plastic labels were broken off of the top of the buttons by the prior owner because she was having to press very hard to get those buttons to work.
Jake28  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:03:42 AM(UTC)
Jake28

A few follow-up questions...sorry, I'm a novice. 1) The instructions say to disconnect the power before working on the machine. Is it ok to flip the breaker at the panel to shut off power to it rather than disconnecting the wiring? 2) I disconnected the ribbon cable at one end so I could examine it closely but I didn't get the other end loose because it wasn't coming off easily and I didn't want to damage anything. It's the end that attaches to the green circuit board that has the key pad/control buttons on it (the "user interface"). Can you suggest how to do that without breaking any parts? 3) I examined the user interface and see that there is rust on some of the key pad button mechanisms that are attached to the circuit board. This is probably because the plastic labels on several of the exterior control buttons on the "panel cntl" has broken so moisture has gotten in. Does that rust and the broken keypad labels mean that I should replace those parts? I don't yet understand how to go about running the diagnostics on the key pad and I'm wondering if it's worth figuring that out when it seems that moisture will continue to get into there during normal operation even if I get it working now. Thanks so much for your advice!
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:38:16 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
1) Is it ok to flip the breaker at the panel to shut off power to it
Yes

2) Can you suggest how to do that without breaking any parts?
Spray the other end with electronics contact cleaner and let is sit for 10 minutes or so then give it another try. Spray a little extra cleaner on during the ten minutes, try to keep it moist.

3) Does that rust and the broken keypad labels mean that I should replace those parts?
It could but I would try cleaning them with electronics contact cleaner, comes is a spray can. If the keypad labels have a hole and you feel that is where the moisture is getting in then I would replace it or if you can seal it with silicone. But then I am cheap.

I don't yet understand how to go about running the diagnostics on the key pad and I'm wondering if it's worth figuring that out.
It may be worth figuring out even if you decide to scrap the unit if nothing else it is learning experience and may come in handy in the future. Many different devices use diagnostics and learning to run one can often help running a different one

moisture will continue to get into there during normal operation even if I get it working now.
That is a decision only you can make. How long did it run before crapping out? Is it worth while putting dollars into a unit which may have other problems. If you can get it running without any parts, you will be able to check it out and then decide whether you should replace the keypad board and cover.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Jake28  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:35:12 PM(UTC)
Jake28

Thanks! Very helpful tips. This web-site is great. I purchased the dishwasher used so I'm ok with putting some more $$ into it. It seems to be in great shape and is loaded with features. I'll get it working and then decide about spending money on cosmetics (like the broken plastic on the buttons).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply