Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smithlpoole  
#31 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:24:33 AM(UTC)
smithlpoole

Groups: Registered

Yesterday I replaced the "replacement heater for heater harness defrost assembly" part number WR51X10101.

The original part was a single and this part is a dual.

I replaced the single with the dual and moved the blue wire on the left over to the right side and plugged in the pink and blue wired in the right side.

What now?

What should I be looking for?

How soon should my fridge get back to normal...i.e., how soon should I see the 40 degree temperature like I used to?

Should the frost on the evaporator coils behind the freezer panel begin frosting up immediately after everything is plugged in?

I tried touching the part to see if it would get warm and wasn't sure of what was going on.

What's the lilkelihood of getting a genuine renewal part that is broken?

I can tell you this, the old glass cylindrical heater part was sooooo black you couldn't even see through it. A stark difference of what is was supposed to look like.

Just trying to see if maybe there was anything else wrong like the defrost timer.

How do I check that (while I'm at it) to make sure that's not bad too?
icehouse  
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:28:58 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

smithlpoole  
#33 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 9:56:44 AM(UTC)
smithlpoole

The temperature in the fridge has not gotten to the 40 degree mark since changing the defrost heater.

The freezer is cold around 10 degrees but shouldn't the freezer be around 2 degrees?

After replacing the defrost heater I have no idea of what to expect other than for the fridge to work normally.

Question: If things don't return to normal after replacing the defrost heater, what then? How many days should you wait? AFter replacing the defrost heater and before installing the back panel and shelves, what should I look for as a sign that the defrost heater is or isn't working? That link that icehouse gave me didn't really help me for my problem.

Did I replace the defrost heater for nothing?

What's the probability that I need to also change the:
a) defrost timer
b) defrost thermostat or
c) the main board in the rear?
abadfish66  
#34 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 10:55:40 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

If you have not replaced the back panel in the freezer, that is why your temps are where they are. That panel must be on for proper airflow.
icehouse  
#35 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 1:52:28 PM(UTC)
icehouse

:D Snitch:p:p
smithlpoole  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:28:27 AM(UTC)
smithlpoole

I replaced the rear freezer panel after I repaired the heater.

This morning the fridge temp is steady at 50 degrees, 10 degrees above norma. This is where it was when I first started having problems...things are not as cold as they should be and I even have the knobs up to 9 (max).

What now?

Again, I pose the following questions:

Question: If things don't return to normal after replacing the defrost heater, what then? How many days should you wait? AFter replacing the defrost heater and before installing the back panel and shelves, what should I look for as a sign that the defrost heater is or isn't working?
Did I replace the defrost heater for nothing?

What's the probability that I need to also change the:
a) defrost timer
b) defrost thermostat or
c) the main board in the rear?

I read something on another website that said most freezers have an every 4 hour defrost cycle. If the cycling isn't working is it then the timer?

Where do I go from here?

Where do I get a tech sheet?
icehouse  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:56:09 AM(UTC)
icehouse

The link I provided explains the "Adaptive" defrost and how to initiate it.
The system has not set amount of hours, rather it works by the number of door openings and closings. Although more energy efficient, there have been numerous problems with this system.
If you are having that much trouble, I suggest you call a "qualified technician".
smithlpoole  
#38 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 12:55:49 PM(UTC)
smithlpoole

I've replaced the:
1. defrost heater
2. main board
3. defrost thermistat
4. defrost sensor

And the freezer is still building up frost on the evaporator coils.
I don't know why but the moment I put that so called new defrost heater on I felt it wasn't working because nothing happened...no warming nothing.

When I defrost the rear of the freezer with the blow dryer, replace everything, the cold air comes through the damper just fine without any problems. Then after about 3-4 days, the frost begins to build up on the rear panel and the buildup slowly decreases the amount of cold air flowing up through the damper.

If I purchased a voltage reader (about $12.00) what exactly would I be looking for? How would I check the defrost heater itself if there are no actual wires other than the ones that you plug into it.

I have the dual heater and I'm wondering if it's not working due to having to plug the wires into the right side...I know that shouldn't make a difference if that's what the instructions tell you to do ...

Now, I'm starting to see water build up at the bottom of the fridge and this has not been happening since I've been making all the parts changes.

1. What else could I possibly check for?
2. Does this fridge/freezer have a timer?
3. I accidentally dropped two screws into the drain under the defrost heater (this was after the problems started) and I'm wondering if that is playing a roll in anything? I pulled out the dairy section at the bottom of the fridge and peeked in and the water reserviore (the white/somewhat clear S shaped plastic water holder) hanging on the rear was dripping as if it had a leak. I'm thinking this may be somehow connected to so many defrosts causing too much water to flow into the reserviore pan.

4. Do you have directions for checking the water pan under the fridge...how do I reach it and check to see if the screws or dust or anyting for that matter is clogging it? Could that possibly be causing any problems.

I'm getting frustrated.
icehouse  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 2:19:52 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Treated wrong, and you will get burned.
The thing to check out Appliances best is a good "Multi Meter". With the information provided at the beginning of this section of the forum, and a little patience you will be rewarded two fold.
First that you've learned how to properly troubleshoot. Secondly you will have fixed a problem with your Appliance.
If you still have problems, then contact Tom ApplianceEducator.com :)
richappy  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:06:43 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Water frozen in the insulation in the door is now melting due to the warmer freezer temperature.
Pull your back freezer panel off and describe the frost pattern.
If all frozen, remove the motherboard cover in back of the refrigerator and pull off the lower left connector. The pc board will have pins labled line and defr.
Stick a jumper wire into the removed connector between line and defr. pins.
Now plug in the refrigeraor and check if the freezer heater turns on.
If not, you have a bad heater or defrost thermostat, replace both.
If defrost, replace the motherboard.
Your motherboard initiates defrost as a function of the freezer thermistor, if still no defrost, replace the freezer thermistor even if you replaced it before, may have cracked from the ice.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply