Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbfarm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:20:26 PM(UTC)
mbfarm

Groups: Registered

our very old frig started to make a series of noises every few minutes.
starts with an electrical click. then a hum, then another click.
it even dims the interior lites with the first click.
looking on the back panel. the noise is coming from a little box with
wires leading to a bigger metal cylinder shaped piece. the schematics says the little noisy box is the overload compressor thermo start.
which part do you think is going bad. the overload start or the actual compressor. i described to my son as sounding like a thermostat is clicking on, then the compressor is trying to start..thus the hum, then another click that makes me think it is shutting itself down. he agreed
that it sounds like the compressor is binding but still working enough to keep things cold.
worried it is a fire hazzard..or a new compressor means just getting a new frig we cant really afford...or hopefully, a minor overload part we can have replaced and continue another year or so with the old frig...almost 30 years old....thanks for your help. i am worried i should unplug it now
and try to save the food somehow. so we dont burn our house down.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:52:47 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Depending on how long it's been doing that it just could be the realy/overload. I would unplug it until you can at least try a relay/overload.

Nat
mbfarm  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:09:11 PM(UTC)
mbfarm

thank you. it has been doing this for about 3-5 days now. and where do we find a relay part?
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:22:45 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If it's been doing it that long it may have already messed up the compressor. The model number you posted doesn't pull up, use a universal 3-n-1 hard start part number AP4319922 (Part Details - SEA CAPACITOR, part number: URCO410)

Nat
mbfarm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:25:50 PM(UTC)
mbfarm

thank you so much for your comments.
i checked freezer after your 1st post and foods are already starting to melt. so it must have ruined the compresser like you said. it is now unplugged, and i will tell husband about that part number...but it sounds hopeless. so prolly time to buy a new one...ouch...have no idea what brand is good. thanks again. mb
libertyappl  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:41:18 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

We don't like to recommend any specific brand locally because we work on several different ones.
But I don't mind telling you what we own...everything in our house is a Whirlpool product, because Randy feels they are easier to work on and generally when they do break down the parts are cheaper and more available than some brands.
I know like most people around here anyway money is tight, you might find a place to buy one financed through your electric co-op. That's a service they offer in our area. You might also look into a scratch & dent store (most come with regular warranty except for cosmetics)

Hope that helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply