Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lina711  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 10:16:12 PM(UTC)
Lina711

Groups: Registered

I heard some clicking noise from the back of the refrigerator yesterday morning and I noticed that the light on the ice dispenser turned off and every so often flashed on. I unplugged the refrigerator briefly and plugged it back, shortly after the light on the dispenser came on but it stopped producing ice. I started to notice some leaking on the floor and although I was hearing the fan the food wasn't in the same frozen state it usually is. The fan was and is blowing out warmer air therefore not freezing at this time. I also keep hearing sounds like a vibration that starts and stop consistently. What do you think it is wrong? What do you think I need to do? Please help, I have three little ones and need to get this fix asap.

Also, I almost forgot to mention that when both doors are open (freezer and refrig) the metal part in the middle is really hot. I don't know if that is part of the problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Lina
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:51:18 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Lina,
On these GE models 9 times out of 10 the main control board on the back has messed up. Part # AP3950129 (from this site) or WR55X10552 (locally).
But if you are unfamiliar with testing I would suggest you call a local service tech to make sure which part or parts you may need.

Nat
Lina711  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:58:17 AM(UTC)
Lina711

Thanks for the info Nat, just wanted to let you know that I place a small amount of water (1/4) in a small plastic cup and it froze. Also, I know have a handful of ice cubes (not many but some). Very strange because I have a breakfast pastry that is will not freeze. Do you still believe that it is the main board? Appreciate your help!!
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:11:49 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

If it's freezing it may have been going thru a defrost cycle and possibly stuck for a while. Make sure the fan in the back of the freezer side is blowing and you have good air flow in the freezer, that's how you get cold air into your frig side. The control boards can sometimes be sparatic before they go out. They are like a small computer.
Definately keep you eye on how it's freezing and cooling in the frig side.
Keep us posted with what your unit is doing. I'm sure with all the volunteers on here we can help you figure out what's wrong.
Nat

BTW.... the center part being warm is normal.
Lina711  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:17:18 AM(UTC)
Lina711

Nat I think you are right, it looks like it is on the brink. The fan air is not as cold as it should be. Not too much ice has been produce either. The center section is actually warmer than the norm. It feels hot to the touch which I never realized before. I guess I am going to need to purchase the control board after all. The fridge is working fine, everything is cold in it thus far. I also notice that the fan is not blowing consistently. Not a happy camper but truly appreciate all of your advise!!!
Lina711  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:05:52 PM(UTC)
Lina711

Nat, The center of the fridge between the door is very hot. Is this dangerous? Should I call in a service tech or do you think that by changing the main control board that would correct everything? The freezer is not making any ice at this time and food is not freezing at all. I would love to try to fix myself if possible to save on the cost but if necessary I will call in the professional. Please advise your thoughts.....Thanks!
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:35:34 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

The control board should fix your problem. The freezer wont make ice until it gets down to the correct temp. The center divider is normally hot while the compressor is running. Pull the unit out and make sure the fan near the compressor is running too. If you have any doubts call in a tech, better to be safe than sorry.
Nat
Lina711  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 2:35:26 PM(UTC)
Lina711

Nat- I contacted a service tech today and was giving him the description of the situation. He asked that I check to see if the fan in the back near the compressor was working and it was not. He believes that it is the motor (fan)that needs to be replace. Does this sound correct to you?????? Thanks
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 7:50:15 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

He's correct, I'm sorry I forgot to ask about that fan. If it isn't working it should be replaced.
Nat
Lina711  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:44:07 AM(UTC)
Lina711

Thanks for all your expert advice, I'm so bless to have had the opportunity to pick your brain on a topic I have no clue about. Your help was truly appreciated!!!!!! I now feel confident allowing a tech to do the work with the knowledge you loan me - thank you!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply