Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zaino22  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2009 6:08:53 AM(UTC)
zaino22

Groups: Registered

Hi, I recently bought home, and got this Frigidaire dishwasher Model: FDB1502RGC0. Its less than 2 years old, and hardly used, but when i run it in rinse mode, it leaks from the door's bottom. I opened the front stainless steel panel, and can see when upper washer runs, no issues however i can see water but that does not have enough pressure to come out, but when bottom one runs, water comes out more from the bottom right. I saw Part Number 154576501 (AP3959846) sitting outside the bottom door hinge just when i opened the door. I did not think it was suppose to be doing nothing, so I tried to place it under the bottom door, hoping when the door closes, it would stop the water but it still does not stop even though i can see it placed in between when i close the door (while front panel is off). I hate to buy new one it if this can be fixed. Any experienced tech out there who can advise on how to fix? or may be i am not placing this gasket right?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kartman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 12:33:42 PM(UTC)
kartman

my dishhwasher is a year old, the gasket fell out into the dishwasher and part of it melted. I ordered a new gasket a few days ago and noticed that the new gasket is slightly different (the ends of the original gasket appear to have been modified by attaching what appears to be parts of gasket at 90 degree angles) it appears the new part is close enough (gotta love manufacturers who change designs mid cycle) -- but it is not apparent from opening the door (removing the front metal cover) nor the diagram on this site how the gasket is meant to fit

I will post pics of said eventual gasket placement (whomever does it) -- I will futz with this again for a few more "wet floor" dish cycles and then toss in the towel and bring in a pro (last resort)

... and if I have to plunk down the $$$ to have this resolved, and the $$$ is simply to have someone place the gasket I will never buy fridgidaire again and will go out of my way to turn people away from the product (yes, I am that guy at hardware stores who offers unsolicited advice)
kartman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:15:50 PM(UTC)
kartman

UserPostedImageOk, first -- this diagram is useless:

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...d=903047&NewWindow=1

I have figured out how to replace the gasket -- I took a few pics along the way.

1) remove the front panel (there are two screws needed for this):
UserPostedImage

The front panel now slides down and off, no other srews are needed on this side.

2) remove lower dish rack (I neglected this step, I wish I had since it will give you more room to work)
3) remove one of two hinge screws (this seemed like a good idea to allow the door to swivel and not have to disconnect any wires)
UserPostedImage
Just the bottom screw of the two (both sides).
4) swivel the door to give you better access (or course you can skip all this nonsense if you have small/nimble hands -- I don't)
UserPostedImage
5) with the door swivled you should have easy access to push the gasket into place. I don't have a shot of the place for the gasket -- you should bee able to see the slot that is open on the left and close near the end on the right -- this matches the notch in the gasket) -- here is the correct gasket orientation:
UserPostedImage
(Sorry for the low res / I was taking these with my blackberry as I decided to document this in case it worked) The notch is on the bottom left in this picture -- if you slide the gasket in just behind the inside of the door (the white plastic) in this orientation (there is a tiny slot just on the other side of this inside door piece) you should be all set. For mine the ends stuck out a bit, but they don't seem to have affected the seal.

6) if the gasket is in place you should be able to see it when you close the door (to align the bottom hinge screws):
UserPostedImage
The gasket is highlighted in red (love photoshop) -- without this gasket water just sprays out of this hole, hits the inside of the door cover and pools on your floor - joy!

7) put the lower hinge screws in, put the front panel on (two screws) and have a really good night out with the fellas (and tell em how you saved $100 bucks on the service call).

Mine's holding up well (dry) but I will keep an eye on it (seems like a poor design and the gasket can fall out (as my original one did -- sadly it fell into the heating element and melted requiring me to buy one on this site for $11.

BTW -- Here is the old and new gaskets (old on top, new below):
UserPostedImage
The old one had a side flange -- we'll see if that is going to be critical over the next few washes (since the new one is missing that detail). Since the new one is a bit longer I doubt it'll be a problem.
kartman attached the following image(s):
remove front panel.jpg
door hinge.jpg
door inverted.jpg
gasket - correct orientation.jpg
gasket installed.jpg
gaskets.jpg
zaino22  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 7:25:26 PM(UTC)
zaino22

Thank you so much Kartman for putting detailed instructions with pix for me. You spent all this time and efforts to help me, May God give you the best of this world, and here after, amen.

I posted this question on other websites as well, then found out I need to reinstall lower door gasket properly, but did not know how to. Then I found previous service flash (see the 1st link) and over this past weekend, I was able to properly install the lower door gasket. After reading your post I found out I could have taken those two mean scrows off, and door would be in swival mode, but did not know and ended up soar right index for trying to put that gasket in the channel. Thanks for letting me know. My old, and new gasket are exactly same as yours old and new one. There is one reminder that since some customer still had water drip issues after changing to newly designed gasket, Frigidiare issued new kit that includes only two little pieces (see 2nd link, only 1 piece is shown), to further stop the spill of water from sides. One goes on each side of the tub (beside the lower rubber seal on the tub). Combination of these two should stop the water from coming outside. Let me know if you know how to install them otherwise I can get the camera, and post the pix on where to place these two pieces.

Installation:
http://www.electroluxtopservicelatam.com/image/Manuals/Services%20Flashes/US%202007%20Service%20Flashes%20&%20News%20Flashes/Dishwasher/Service%20Flash%20DW071_Water%20Leaking%20from%20Bottom%20of%20Door.pdf

Two side pieces:
http://frigidaireservicetips.co..._Door_Seal_Installed.pdf

I had called Frigidaire, and one thing for sure, I never bought their product (I got this one with house), and after this experience I will never ever ever buy their product. You can tell alot about the company with the kind of service they are providing. And even though our d/w was out of warranty this was a design issue company had known for a while, check out serial #s in the service flash. They should have repaired for free or at least provide part for free. They said only authorized tech can req free part, and i wasnt going to pay $120 they charge in Canada for service call. I am still not satisfied that this is such a lame design if seal comes off , which is easy, your floor, cabinets are ruined. I am seriously thinking to sell it, since its not used much, and good condition, and then buy Bosch sold around $1300.
Let me know how long you had your frigidaire d/w and is it worth to keep? I think i can sell mine for $200 or $175 new one is $350+tax
kartman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:09:15 PM(UTC)
kartman

I didn't mind taking pics and writing it up (my wife thought I was nuts, I explained that unless everyone who has benefited by finding answers online also takes a few moments here or there to share what they know/learn the whole system will stall). Yup, my day job is in IT... <grin>

I too am likely to never buy another fridgidaire -- ironically I bought this piece of junk because the one that came with the house had a leak and ruined the floor (previous owners were idiots who installed new floor over old floor and left the leak -- I could tell because they tried to use glue to create a "dam" to keep the water pooled under the d/w). I too saw the door gasket issue (and I pulled it off and reinstalled it so the bottom ends protude out enough to fill that 1 cm void at the bottom (as pictured in the service guide) but it was the bottom gasket that caused my leaks. I absolutely hate manufacturers who are too lazy and/or cheap to stand behind their product. All that produces are rabidly angry ex-customers instead of enthusiastic devotees. I have already accosted two people at a local Lowe's (I was there for garden hose) and at least gave them something to think about -- that behavior also puzzles my wife. ;-)

Anyway, so far the current gasket is holding up but I will investigate the side pieces if it starts to leak. If you have the means you might invest in the Bosch (I was too cheap -- we thought we were only going to be in this house a few years -- that was before the US housing bust). If this thing acts up any more I will go buy the Bosch and sell this one (although it will be tough since I will have a guilty conscience if I don't disclose its issues).

Good luck!
zaino22  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:49:02 PM(UTC)
zaino22

When I was reading your post, it seemed like I am reviewing my own. Just before I got home, that is exactly what i told my nephew, who had second thoughts why I explained the solution on the web pages where I had previously posted my question, if my issue was resolved. I gave him the same reason that I went online in search of an answer, now that i got it, i should share if i don't then there is no point of forums. Another coincidence, I am in IT as well. I guess that's where the logic comes from ;) When I almost gave up hope, I was thinking I should wait for another Bosch d/w sale since it ended up in the day I was going to move to this new place. Since d/w suppose to be in working condition, and did not previous owner paid me $450 (Canadian) so even if i sell this one for $175, i still get more out of it, and can buy Bosch when it is on sale (since its just me and my wife). I plan to use it for a month, and if it doesn't leak, issue is resolved, and I can sell this one.

Tell your wife that its people like yourself who strengthen the faith in the society, and motivate others to be good samartans. Sincere thanks for your efforts, I can imagine it needs dedications. God bless you from recession, and missing your wife's Bday/wedding anniversary. :)
Chi-Chi  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:48:10 PM(UTC)
Chi-Chi

Thanks Kartman for your detailed write-up. With your instructions this was super easy to replace - 20min total and I hope the leaking Dishwasher is now a thing of the past.
dwaynecoryell  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:09:17 AM(UTC)
dwaynecoryell

Zaino22, do you happen to have a copy of the PDF for the two side pieces? It seems Frigidaire has now restricted the web site to "Authorized Service Providers"
squirrelbane  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:12:46 AM(UTC)
squirrelbane

Thank you guys for posting this! The pictures were VERY helpful, and swiveling the door was genius!! This post helped me out tremendously!!:)
jtmcdole  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:32:08 PM(UTC)
jtmcdole

This is some video I shot of my dishwasher (before discovering this forum). Hope it helps someone!

YouTube - Frigidaire Dishwasher Door Leak
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply