Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tpaikeda  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:26:12 AM(UTC)
tpaikeda

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool side-by-side fridge. Had it for 8 years, no problem. Last month the water started having a strange almost plasticy taste. Ice started tasting strange too obviously. When I flush the water from the system, the water tastes normal again, so I don't think it's the filter, and it's also not the city water (kitchen tap water tastes fine).

Just to be sure I changed the filter as well, but the taste reappears after the water chills for some time inside the fridge. Nothing has spoiled in the fridge, but just to be safe we've cleaned it out completely.

I believe there is some kind of mold or contaminant in the water line inside the fridge. I pulled off the bottom kickplate of the fridge, where you can see where the water line for the cabinet is coupled to the water line for the door. No discoloration seen inside either of these clear tubes. The water cooling coil that sits inside the fridge, near the fresh produce section also appears clear, no discoloration.

So I'm running out of things I can check on my own. Guidance appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:38:22 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tpaikeda Go to Quoted Post
Whirlpool side-by-side fridge. Had it for 8 years, no problem. Last month the water started having a strange almost plasticy taste. Ice started tasting strange too obviously. When I flush the water from the system, the water tastes normal again, so I don't think it's the filter, and it's also not the city water (kitchen tap water tastes fine).

Just to be sure I changed the filter as well, but the taste reappears after the water chills for some time inside the fridge. Nothing has spoiled in the fridge, but just to be safe we've cleaned it out completely.

I believe there is some kind of mold or contaminant in the water line inside the fridge. I pulled off the bottom kickplate of the fridge, where you can see where the water line for the cabinet is coupled to the water line for the door. No discoloration seen inside either of these clear tubes. The water cooling coil that sits inside the fridge, near the fresh produce section also appears clear, no discoloration.

So I'm running out of things I can check on my own. Guidance appreciated.

I know this probably won't make sense to you but,

You may want to remove your water filter ...

Or reroute the tubing and replace the water reservoir(tank) in the refrigerator section.

Why you started having a problem now, after 8 years, is most likely due to a change in the chemicals at the water supply company's treatment plant.

We have found that in certain cases(like I mentioned)the water filter will reduce the chemicals even lower and allow a taste and odor to develop in the tank and in turn in the water (not a health hazard).

Once you remove the filter and flush the water out and get a proper level of chemicals, you won't have a problem. And it won't cost anything.

Otherwise, you would need to purchase : a new tank, tubing and additional connectors.

You'd have to reroute the water tubes, so they would go from the fill valve to the tank, from the tank to the filter, and from the filter to the dispenser and ice maker.

It's an involved repair, but nothing major, and doable.

Drop us a line, if you need more assistance.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
tpaikeda  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 12:22:41 PM(UTC)
tpaikeda

Groups: Registered

Thanks very much Joe - I'll give it a try (removing filter)
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2010 3:27:31 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tpaikeda Go to Quoted Post
Thanks very much Joe - I'll give it a try (removing filter)

You're very welcome,

After you remove the filter,

You may want to run a few quarts of water through the dispenser to clear the water that's there and let it sit overnight.

Thanks again,
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply