Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ramjm_2000  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:16:12 PM(UTC)
ramjm_2000

Groups: Registered

The over that came with our new house recently quit working after it's first self cleaning cycle. The oven is a Whirlpool Accubake wall unit than is about 10 months old. All the buttons seem to work perfectly as does the clock and timer, just no heat. Because we closed on the house a few months before we moved in, Whirlpool is not honoring their 1 year warranty so I'm stuck getting it fixed or fixing it. The two repair men I had looking at it suspect either the control board ($300 repair) or the thermostat ($150 repair). I'm fairly handy so unless its a dangerous/difficult repair I'm confident I can do it myself. Any ideas? Thanks

JR
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mwinter  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 5:03:52 PM(UTC)
mwinter

I have the same problem with a GBS277PRQ01. It's an electric model. After first self clean (about 14 months after we purchased it), it will not bake or broil. Everything else looks like normal (display, etc). I called a couple appliance repair people and both immediately said 'thermal fuse'. This makes sense to me, since the problem started after the self clean. My understanding of the thermal fuse is it works like an electrical fuse, but if the fuse gets too hot, it will trip and shut down the elements.

I was hoping to get some kind of confirmation via this site or another.

It appears to me on some whirlpool oven schematics, part with diagram location of #37 and a verbal description of 'THRMST-FIX' is the part I need. I'm on the road right now and when I get home, I intend to find this part on my oven and I should be able to check it for continuity. If it is not working correctly, I would expect it to be an open circuit.

Have you found out any more about your problem?
ramjm_2000  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 5:30:23 PM(UTC)
ramjm_2000

Funny you should ask, I just installed a new thermostat tonight. The oven did indeed begin to work. The only problem is that the oven will not cool now. After using it to bake some bread, the oven began making a buzzing noise, I assume it's an internal fan. Hopefully the master computer board isn't fried as well.
mwinter  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 5:15:26 PM(UTC)
mwinter

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that not everything is fixed yet. I found the thermal fuze on my oven and it was 'open'. I ordered a new one and installed it today. Near as I can tell everything is working as it should now.
ramjm_2000  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2008 10:48:44 AM(UTC)
ramjm_2000

Update: I decided before buying a new control board I'd disconnect the power and wait a few days to see if the computer reset. Initially it looked promising. But once I started a baking cycle and quickly turned it off, it continued to heat. Oh well time for a new control board...
ramjm_2000  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2008 11:35:16 AM(UTC)
ramjm_2000

Well I just replaced the control board after replacing the thermostat 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the oven STILL want to stay on once I put it into bake mode. If I flip the breaker and reset the oven the oven doesn't heat but when I start a heat cycle that's when it stays hot even after cancelling the bake cycle. MW, you mentioned that your thermostat was "open" was that something you tested for? Could I have ruined my new thermostat connecting it to a bad board? Any way to tell?

Gene- you seem to be the resident expert, any ideas?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply