Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Biblee  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:43:04 PM(UTC)
Biblee

Groups: Registered

Hello:
Unit spec. GE Model # TBX21JISSRWH 20.6 cu. in. frost free.
Had a bad storm last night. Found refrig. had light on, but no compressor or condenser fan operation. Freezer and Frig. warm. Breaker half tripped. Reset breaker but still no luck. Frig. worked fine before lightning hit. $$$ not there to call repairman or replace frig. Any help or tips? I have a digital multimeter but not sure on where or how to test components.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Tried turning defrost timer clockwise until it clicked...nothing. Replaced start cap...nothing. Still have light. :(

Should I replace the compressor relay? Dangerous or not with power disconnected? Food trashed! Can't buy more until frig. working. PLEASE SAVE ME FROM McDONALD'S !
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:05:12 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

check defrost timer, it may be stuck in defrost, turn the dial
Biblee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:59:29 AM(UTC)
Biblee

I rotated the timer clockwise until it clicked. Still no compressor or fan. Replaced Start relay and still nothing. Help Guys!
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 9:25:47 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Your gonna want to take a look at the wiring to the thermostat for any damage, a bad connection will cause this also. On your compressor, was there 2 devices attaced, the relay, and a white and black thermal protector?
Biblee  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 10:17:49 AM(UTC)
Biblee

Would the "Temperature Control" be concidered the thermostat? The only other mention of thermostat is the defrost thermostat. Frig worked fine before lightning hit. Could power spike have killer the compressor?
Found relay and black and white thermal protector above it. One black wire going to it. A white and a orange wire going to the relay. Should they be replaced?
Much thanks for assist!
Lee
Biblee  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 10:36:43 AM(UTC)
Biblee

Yes Compressor has a black and white thermal protector above the relay with one black wire connected to it. Had a time getting the cover off to get to it. Can you reset the protector or have to replace it? Would it be worth replaceing the relay also? May be getting closer. I see no burned wires or contacts elsewhere.
Thanks abadfish66
abadfish66  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 10:40:17 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Did you say you replaced the relay on the compressor, there are 2 devices there the thermal protector and the ptc relay, either black or brown in color
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 10:40:56 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Yes the temp control, it is attached to the knob you adjust the freshfood temp with
Biblee  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 11:20:32 AM(UTC)
Biblee

I replaced the run capacitor so far. I haven't tried relay (brown) or thermal protector. If I replace and it still doesn't run what next? I'm going to Bell's parts to get them today. I'm off this week at work so this is ANOTHER project to deal with. Many thanks for your kind assistance!
Lee
abadfish66  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 12:02:09 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Take off the ptc (the brown device on the compressor, and shake it. If it rattle that is your problem. The cap you replaced is for the condenser fan.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply