Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JGUIDI  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:06:20 PM(UTC)
JGUIDI

Groups: Registered

One day I noticed that the GFI recep was tripped. I reset it and everything seemed fine. then 4 days later it tripped again and now my washer will not power up or respond to anything. I checked the voltage at the GFI. I checked through many things that I saw to check in a copy of the service manual I found the link to on one of the other posts, (Thanks by the way it is very helpful!!). I'm down to a couple of options before I break down and call a service tech. (I live Waaayyy out in the boondocks and want to do all I can before I have to pay someone to come all the way out here.) I believe the problem is either a loose connection / short somewhere, or the control panel is shot. I've tried to find a wiring diagram somewhere on line but haven't been able to. Do you have any advice for me?
Also, I'm concerned about the repeated tripping of the GFI and that the problem I have may have been caused by something else periodically drawing too much current. What are your thoughts? Please help, I have 4 kids and the dirty clothes stack up quick!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:32:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The manufacturer do not recommend to plug any big appliances in GFI outlets. According to the Installation instructions (page 3 & 7) the power cord has to be plugged into a grounded outlet protected by a 15-amp fuse or comparable circuit breaker.

Have you tried a different outlet with a regular breaker?

Gene.
JGUIDI  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:42:05 AM(UTC)
JGUIDI

No I haven't tried a regular one but I've used the GFI for a couple of years now and only recently had an issue. Are you thinking that maybe the GFI is getting worn and tripping easier as a possible answer to my 2nd question?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:32:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

GFI by design is very sensitive to any relatively small current leak to the ground. It is very often happened with motors and is not dangerous if the appliance is properly grounded.

Gene.
Doing something wrong way for a long time does not turn it in the right way.
JGUIDI  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:33:55 PM(UTC)
JGUIDI

Makes sense. I will swap out the GFI. It still does not solve my larger problem of having power to the control panel but the washer still will not turn on. I've checked the on / off switch for continuity and it works fine. I've checked the ohms on the reactor and it came back as .4, which I belive means it's ok. But nothing comes on or lights up.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 1:34:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Perform the troubleshooting as described in the Tech sheet.

Here is the Service manual.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for MAYTAG MAH8700AWW Washer - Horizontal Axis | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
JGUIDI  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 2:16:16 PM(UTC)
JGUIDI

Thanks Gene! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply