Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aarronr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 5:47:14 AM(UTC)
aarronr

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Neptune front loader, MAH4000AWQ, its the first generation front loader that is suppose to have all the problems. I have a leak coming from the small black drain tube that is connected to the grey boot. The boot is not ripped nor is the black drain tube. Seems the water is coming from between where the tube connects into the grey boot. I have tried everything to get it to stop, hose clamp, duct tape, etc. It only leaks when the machine is agitating the cloths, not when filling or spinning. Is it possible that water is backing up somewhere and causing enough pressure to make it leak around the tube?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:06:27 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: aarronr Go to Quoted Post
I have a Maytag Neptune front loader, MAH4000AWQ, its the first generation front loader that is suppose to have all the problems. I have a leak coming from the small black drain tube that is connected to the grey boot. The boot is not ripped nor is the black drain tube. Seems the water is coming from between where the tube connects into the grey boot. I have tried everything to get it to stop, hose clamp, duct tape, etc. It only leaks when the machine is agitating the cloths, not when filling or spinning. Is it possible that water is backing up somewhere and causing enough pressure to make it leak around the tube?

The only purpose for that hose is to keep water from sitting in the boot after a cycle is complete. They had mold problems growing on the boot due to the moisture.

Have you actually removed the tube from the boot nipple and cleaned/dried the connection area and reinstalled? There isn't any water pressure involved, just water splashing around as the clothes flop.

By chance have you noticed the water level in the tub being higher then in the past. Might be a situation where the machine is overfilling. The Neptunes were known for getting a build up of lint in the pressure switch hose, which could make them overfill. Even if that is happening it still shouldn't leak from there, but it may be worth observing.
aarronr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:15:06 AM(UTC)
aarronr

I did remove the tube, made sure it was clear, checked the hole in the boot to make sure it was clear, as well as where the black tube connects to the frame around the boot. Any suggestions on how to get it to stop leaking? I was considering removing the grey boot to see if there is some kind of buildup where the water is suppose to drain from the black tube.
aarronr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:17:26 AM(UTC)
aarronr

I didnt check water level, not sure hot to do that or how to check if there is lint build up. The repair places I have called all tell me the same thing, replace the washer due to the 100% chance that other things will go wrong with the machine
Frank / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:30:06 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Originally Posted by: aarronr Go to Quoted Post
I did remove the tube, made sure it was clear, checked the hole in the boot to make sure it was clear, as well as where the black tube connects to the frame around the boot. Any suggestions on how to get it to stop leaking? I was considering removing the grey boot to see if there is some kind of buildup where the water is suppose to drain from the black tube.

That tube just allows the water from the boot to drain back into the outer tub so it doesn't stay laying in the boot in between machine usage.

Without seeing the machine and where the drip is coming from I'm not sure I can provide a definitive answer as to "how to get it to stop". If water is leaking from a connection somewhere, and it isn't under any sort of pressure, in my eyes it's a connection problem. I know that machine pretty well, but maybe I'm missing something. You may wait to see if someone else might be able to add something I may be overlooking.

Make sure the water isn't leaking from somewhere else, and tracking to the spot where you see the drip.
aarronr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:37:52 AM(UTC)
aarronr

Thanks for all the help. It is clearly coming from between where the tube goes into the grey boot.
magician59  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:05:07 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

I would replace both the boot and the boot drain hose. The replacements are made of a different material that resists mildew build-up. I haven't worked on as many of the units as Frank, but if the motor still runs, the drain pump still works, and it doesn't sound like a jet taking off in the spin cycle, a boot replacement will be a good investment.
Frank / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:56:30 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
I would replace both the boot and the boot drain hose. The replacements are made of a different material that resists mildew build-up. I haven't worked on as many of the units as Frank, but if the motor still runs, the drain pump still works, and it doesn't sound like a jet taking off in the spin cycle, a boot replacement will be a good investment.

Good advice magician. Thanks for jumping in.
aarronr  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:22:37 AM(UTC)
aarronr

This is a replacement boot already. I replaced the original when Maytag was having all the problems with smell. The replacement kit came with the boot, tube, door and circuit board
bobthebob  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2011 12:21:46 PM(UTC)
bobthebob

I just had to replace the drain pump on this same model and I was hoping that now all the water that had gotten into the boot (from when it wouldn't drain) would get pumped or otherwise drained out.
but it hasn't - when I spin the inner tub by hand I can here a whole bunch of water sloshing in the tub.

so - my question is this - is the drain tube for the boot the small black one on the lower left side of the boot (looking from the back of the machine)?

I wasn't sure so I didn't want to go pulling it off till I was sure.

also - is there a way to get that mildew smell out without replacing the boot? it's not super strong but it is there...

sorry to piggyback on this thread but it seemed like a similar issue.

cheers.
b
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply