Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
thorning Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:36:46 AM(UTC)

I agree. These bearings are not made to last by reoiling them as might be done on a large industrial electric motor. It would be a last resort to salvage a dryer that no longer had a replacement available.
ThatGuy Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:26:17 AM(UTC)

Oiling the motor is a temporary repair at best.

I had a customer one time, that was so cheap he wouldn't spring for a new motor. He asked me if I could "oil" his motor. So I used a 1/8 inch drill bit and drilled into the oil reservoir on each bearing. I pumped in some turbine oil and sealed the holes with 2 screws.

It worked. I think it lasted about 6 months. Now I'm all about saving money and making do, but this was not really worth the effort.
thorning Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:09:32 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
That kinda sounds like your motor bearings area seizing up.

I have experienced this on a couple of dryers over the last year or two also. I repair about 100 a year. It is usually the motor bearings that are worn and / or starting to seize up. Once I was able to take the motor out and stand it up on end and squirt WD40 into the bearing area on each end. Once it was freed up I blew the WD 40 out of the motor windings and bearings and put some 3 in 1 oil in to the same area while rotating the shaft or the motor while holding the opposite item. This took quite a while and was kind of messy. It worked on one motor but on another one the bearings were too badly damaged and it still screeched when it was starting to turn the drum.
Another item to take a look at is the slipper plates in the front end that hold up the drum . They are part of the front cover support area. If these are worn out or missing the drum will screech as it tries to turn. It starts when the drum turns and never gets better however.
ThatGuy Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 11:07:31 AM(UTC)

That kinda sounds like your motor bearings area seizing up.
SRALPH Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:40:34 AM(UTC)

I have an older Whirlpool Duet GAS dryer, model #GGW9200LQ0, it recently started stopped working. I opened it up, cleaned out everything (lots of lint). It testing, without the drum or belt installed, the motor spins and everything seemed to be working fine. So I replaced the rollers, idler pulley and drum belt as well as the thermal fuse and the foam seal at the blower fan housing.

I reassembled the dryer and it will startup. It is very noisy at first, like a dry bearing noise, but then it quiets down as warms up a bit. It produces heat and runs for a while but eventually it starts making a screeching sound and quits mid cycle.

I'd appreciate any assistance diagnosing this. I figure its probably the motor but want to see if there are other components to check first.