Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color Font Size
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
J_ph Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:44:45 AM(UTC)

I found some more info here, this seems to clarify my problem:

http://forum.appliancepartspros...gh-limit-thermostat.html

thank you
J_ph Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:41:30 PM(UTC)

Hi Gene

I have to apologize, my explanation was a little convoluted.

The part that I pulled from the dryer is 3977393 #9 on the link below:

Bulkhead parts, optional parts (not included) replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL TEDS840PQ1 29"electric Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

the other part that I mentioned, 3977394 was an incorrect part from a local source.

on the drawing it shows the following link as the part on location #15

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Thermostat, fixed, part number: AP3131941

is the high limit switch in this next link a replacement for the above item, or does it go in a different location?

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Thermal cut-off, part number: AP3094244

thanks again, j
Gene Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:13:10 PM(UTC)

The thermall cut-off kit with the Part number: 3977394
Part number: 3977394

is the correct part number for this dryer. Both thermostats from this kit must be installed at the same time. The high limit thermostat is shown as #15 on the diagram.

One of the most common cause for a dryer overheating is a restricted air flow through the dryer exhaust line. It has to be cleaned all the way through its outlet at least every other year.

Gene.
J_ph Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:33:28 AM(UTC)

really great forum and thread. I have a similar problem. I checked the full list

1.breaker- good
2.220v - good
3.thermal fuse - good
4.heating element - good
5. thermal cut-off - bad ( no continuity )

thermal cut-off, the part number was 3977393, I was given a 3977394 as a replacement, it appears this was not the correct replacement part, so I may need to order the correct one.

Even with the wrong part the dryer worked for a little while and then no heat again. I checked the 3977394 and again there was no continuity.

What could cause the thermal cut-off to go bad? ( I'm assuming too much heat, anything else?

Also the Thermal cutoff 3977393 (#9 on the diagram) appears to come with a High-Limit thermostat but I don't see where it is located on the diagram for the TEDS840PQ1.

Bulkhead parts, optional parts (not included) replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL TEDS840PQ1 29"electric Dryer | AppliancePartsPros.com

If this High-limit thermostat is bad could this be the reason for the Thermal cut-off to go bad too?

thanks again. j
lilteddyp Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:50:53 AM(UTC)

Thank you again for your patience and help. I am glad I didn't spend $30 bucks to turn around and put $100 or more into it!

Maybe I can moonlight as an appliance repairman ;)
Gene Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:48:32 AM(UTC)

You are welcome. I'm glad you found what was wrong and fix it. It was not very simple but you did it. Good job!

Gene.
lilteddyp Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:40:25 AM(UTC)

I figured it out. In a failed attempt to clean up my breaker box, while converting from a 3prong 220 to a 4prong 220, I moved my ?220 block or double 30 block? over one position, which I guess made it not in fact 220. Move it back to its original position and BK&R read 230. Turned it on and we have heat. So it was my fault the whole time. Thats why I am not an electrician, I am a cell phone salesman and car audio installer!

Thanks Gene for all your help! I really appreciate it!
lilteddyp Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:25:16 AM(UTC)

I know I have to change the lead position depending on what I am doing

R&W = 120
BK&W = 120
R&BK = -2 - +2

I can grab a different meter tomorrow and retest, but I have never had an issue with this meter before
Gene Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 12:20:06 AM(UTC)

When you are going to measure voltage, the leads have to be plugged in the COM and V points at the meter. When you are going to measure resistance, the leads have to be plugged in the COM and Ω points at the meter.

Set the meter on 600 VAC and measure the voltage between the Red & White, the Black & White and between the Red & Black wires at the terminal block.

Gene.
Neutral with ground is normal.
lilteddyp Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:09:21 PM(UTC)

My meter so you know my options
UserPostedImage

The married wires I was talking about.
UserPostedImage

The pictures are also in my photobucket that I posted a couple posts back