Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Registers.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
susie89320  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 6:24:27 AM(UTC)
susie89320

Groups: Registered

Not sure on the age of gas oven, could be older. However, the problem is when I turn the oven on I see an orange glow but the oven won't start. It has been acting up for awhile now but would eventually start. Then it would start but wouldn't seem to keep the temperature all the time and now it doesn't want to light at all and if I do leave it on to see I do begin to smell gas which I know is not good. Just wondering if this problem is the ignitor? Or is the whole stove shot? Top burners work fine. I would hate to purchase the ignitor and then find out that was not the problem at all. Please provide any help that you can.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

BoardRestored  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:47:50 PM(UTC)
BoardRestored

Groups: Registered

Hi Susie,
An ignitor can cause all the symptoms you're talking about, but without a clamp meter there isn't a good way to verify if it's a failing ignitor, often they will glow but will not pull enough amperage to allow the gas valve to open or in your case it will allow the valve to open and just doesn't have the gumption to ignite the fuel.

If you had an clamp meter you'd clamp it around one of the wires of the ignitor with the gas turned off, turn on the bake to the oven. Typically they'll pull 2.85A+\- and glow bright orange/white.

The gas smell your having is the valve letting a very small amount of gas out, the ignitor isn't lighting the fuel, and the valve the turns itself off.

It may be worth a shot to swap the ignitor and it will likely solve your problem.

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply