Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Palm  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 9:12:31 PM(UTC)
Palm

Groups: Registered

Initially this dryer would not do anything when any drying cycle was selected and the start button was pushed. When the start button was pushed, there were no sounds at all. I did determine that the timer was running, but still no action from the machine.

I checked the door switch and all the thermostats and found that the thermal fuse was blown. (The small one inside the heating coils cage) I jumped this thermo out and then when pushing the start switch I could hear a hum from the motor. I checked the motor and found that it was warm just from me pushing the start switch 3 or 4 times. The motor will turn freely and a visual check discloses nothing. If I am checking them correctly, the RUN windings on the motor show a resistance of 5.7 Ohms and the START windings show 2.8 Ohms. There is no short between the windings and the motor frame.

My questions are:

1) What is the correct amount of resistance for the motor windings?
2) Would the motor, if defective, cause that thermal fuse to open?
3) What is the purpose of the centrifugal switches on the motor and where are they located. I find a case containing two switches and having an arm that presses against a disc attached to the motor armature; is this the centrifugal switches? If so, should the normal position of these switches be as shown on the wiring diagram?

My opinion of the trouble that I have is that the motor is defective. Does this sound like a likely conclusion or is there anything else I should check?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:21:40 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts includes a wiring diagram
Wiring information replacement parts for MAYTAG PYE2300AYW Dryer - Ele | AppliancePartsPros.com

Initially this dryer would not do anything when any drying cycle was selected and the start button was pushed. When the start button was pushed, there were no sounds at all. I did determine that the timer was running, but still no action from the machine.

I checked the door switch and all the thermostats and found that the thermal fuse was blown. (The small one inside the heating coils cage) I jumped this thermo out and then when pushing the start switch I could hear a hum from the motor. I checked the motor and found that it was warm just from me pushing the start switch 3 or 4 times. The motor will turn freely and a visual check discloses nothing. If I am checking them correctly, the RUN windings on the motor show a resistance of 5.7 Ohms and the START windings show 2.8 Ohms. There is no short between the windings and the motor frame.

My questions are:

[COLOR="Blue"]1) What is the correct amount of resistance for the motor windings?[/COLOR]
I do not have this info but it does sound correct. It is hard to tell as one of the windings may have shorted to itself or the other winding.

[COLOR="Blue"]2) Would the motor, if defective, cause that thermal fuse to open?[/COLOR]
Yes it can

[COLOR="Blue"]3) What is the purpose of the centrifugal switches on the motor[/COLOR]
The switches close when the motor gets close to operating speed
One disconnects the Start winding which if left on would cause the motor to overheat. The other switches in the heating element, this ensures that the element does not come on until there is air flow over it.

[COLOR="Blue"]and where are they located. I find a case containing two switches and having an arm that presses against a disc attached to the motor armature; is this the centrifugal switches?[/COLOR]
Yes.
If the centrifugal mechanism is actuating the switches when the motor is at rest\off then it is your problem. When actuated the motor's start winding is out of circuit so the motor will not start. Also the heater will turn on blowing the thermal fuse.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Yes If so, should the normal position of these switches be as shown on the wiring diagram?[/COLOR]
Switches are normally open. Wiring diagram shows them with the motor off.

[COLOR="Blue"]My opinion of the trouble that I have is that the motor is defective. Does this sound like a likely conclusion or is there anything else I should check?[/COLOR]
I would agree with your diagnosis.
Try rotating the drum by hand, it should turn fairly easily. Just to be sure that the drum is not overloading the motor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Palm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:24:59 AM(UTC)
Palm

Groups: Registered

One other question; when ordering a new motor, does it come with the centrifugal switches? There is also another device associated with these switches, that appears to be another thermostat or something of the like. It has two terminals and one of the leads to the motor winding goes through it. Is this the device on the diagram listed as the "motor protector." Are all these parts included with the new motor?
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:04:11 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]when ordering a new motor, does it come with the centrifugal switches?[/COLOR]
Yes the motor includes the switches
[COLOR="Blue"]
There is also another device associated with these switches, that appears to be another thermostat or something of the like. It has two terminals and one of the leads to the motor winding goes through it. Is this the device on the diagram listed as the "motor protector." Are all these parts included with the new motor?[/COLOR]
Not sure what device you are referring to. The Motor Protector is built into the motor.
If you click on the motor's picture (Item 1 in Section 6) a new page will open with other views click on theses pictures to expand the picture.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply