Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhunt  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:09:45 PM(UTC)
jhunt

Groups: Registered

I have a GE GCG1700LII 15" trash compactor with a foot pedal for opening the compactor and starting it. The foot pedal keeps coming loose, no matter how much I tighten the retaining screw, and when that happens, it's a bitch to open the compactor, as the unlatching mechanism no longer engages. The pedal doesn't come loose because the screw comes out, it comes loose because the screw goes through a slot, not a hole, in the compactor bin before it screws into the pedal, and no matter how tight the screw is, it can't hold the pedal in place ... the screw just slides through the slot until the pedal is loose and can't engage the unlatch mechanism. Frankly, I don't see how this design was ever supposed to work. The GE repairman couldn't figure out how to fix it either.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 12:12:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jim,

The best solution in such situation is to replace the whole drawer assembly which included the foot pedal and most of other parts. You have to use the old door and the door handle only. The price for the drawer assembly is $114.65 which is much less then buy a new unit.

- The part number for the drawer assembly is AP3994593

Gene.
bernieweir  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:19:00 PM(UTC)
bernieweir

Hi JHunt,

I had the same problem, with what I thought was metal failure on the right side where the screw went in. I disassembled the two foot pedal screws, and found that one of the screws had a raised metal section under the head that made it fit better into the side with the open slot and kept it from sliding back out. Hope this works for you. I'd be interested to hear back from you if this helped.

Cheers, Bernie
dannys00  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 4:44:14 PM(UTC)
dannys00

I also found that after 2 years my GE Profile Trash Compactor (purchased in June '07), the pedal was hanging down on the left side. I searched the internet and called GE to no avail.

After a few attempts, I finally solved the problem by removing the screw on the left side and adding a metal "L" bracket, with the bottom of the L flush against the back of the front panel. That way, when you depress the pedal, the screw can't pop out of the metal it's attached to.

Good luck!
Dannys00
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 8:47:51 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks Danny this is my second time fixing the same problem.

Kay
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply