Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dh1200s  
#71 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:10:02 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

Dave,

Sounds like you have a slight Tub Seal leak. If you go forward with the rebuild and come up with shims that do the trick please let me and other owners know. If you have or can borrow a set of digital calipers I would like to know the thickness of the dual Outer tub bearing.

I would become familiar with the thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement. You can get the Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring thru this site. Find the best price for the 6207-2RS bearings. If you think you may want to replace the Spinner Support bearings I will look for a link for the INA SCE-910 if you decide to replace it and the 6002DU in the Spinner Support.

I feel you have some time but I would do a complete bearing replacement if you go forward with the Tub Seal/Trany O-Ring replacement . The bearings are cheap it&#8217;s the down time and baring no issues pop up like I had where I snapped of a spinner support bolt that was severely corroded in as I described in the thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement.

My everyday Series 17 machine was on line while I rebuilt the Series 10. But as you can see from the Outer Tub bearing replacement thread those folks made it thru the fix. I would post in this thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement for support or feedback that you have.

Good luck and I&#8217;ll be around if I can help&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.Dick
DB App.  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:27:15 AM(UTC)
DB App.

Dick - Thanks agian for all the help and support. When I break the unit down for seal / brg service, I will get you the bearing stack height of the late style bearing pack. I read the posts on bearing replacement that you provided. Those helped a lot. I will post / add to those posts as I go through the tub rebuild. By that time, I should have the bearing shim situation finalized. Dave
drewa  
#73 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:51:04 PM(UTC)
drewa

I just wanted to say thanks. I followed the instructions in this thread and was able to repair my machine pretty easily. I ended up having to replace the whole clutch pulley- it was rusted solid, which probably means I'm going to be replacing the seal next- but a $90 piece beats a $300 repair call or a $1000 machine any day.

Thanks again for all the advice!
DB App.  
#74 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 3:23:02 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Congrats on your clutch repair. If you got through that, you can replace the tub seals with about the same level of difficulty. I think you may find the bearings have already suffered some water damage at this point, and may need replacement. I "rebuilt" my clutch and 4 months later the machine started setting a trouble code for low shaft RPM. The seals were leaking and the inner bearings that Dick shows in his tub overhaul thread were water damaged and preventing the spin/aggiate cycles from reaching the desired shaft RPM the control module was looking for. Dick's thread is so thorough that I can only add one line to it at this point. My observation after completing the entire bearing replacement and tub overhaul is the six bolts that Dick speaks of in his thread can indeed be a bear to remove. I would like to expand on his information at this point and state that not only would I soak the 6 bolts with PB Blaster, but I found that rocking the bolts out until they stop turning or "bind-up", stop !, spray the area again, and then turn the bolts back down into the housing until they stop. Repeating this process seems to draw the PB Blaster deep into the threads and helps to release the corrosion without bolt breakage. With some luck and a lot of patience, I was able to get all 6 corroded bolts out of the housing without breakage. The only other trick I learned during reassembly of my unit, which would help you during dissassembly of your unit is this: There is a place to put a 3/8's inch extension through the outer tub and into the inner tub to lock the 2 units together. My trick is to use 2 - 3/8's extensions, one in each of the opposing holes and load/ hold the extensions together with a sweatband or a large rubber band to keep the extensions from falling out as you move the assembely about during tear-down. This allows you to remove or tighten the large base nut without a fight.
Dave
DB App.  
#75 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 3:34:41 PM(UTC)
DB App.

I forgot to mention the total cost of 1- tub seal, 1-transmission O-ring and 4 bearings was only $60.00. Also, as others have mentioned, you will spend more time on mold and corrsion clean up, than on the actual tub overhaul. Sorry to report that little piece of news !
Dave
dh1200s  
#76 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2011 4:31:01 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: DB App. Go to Quoted Post
I forgot to mention the total cost of 1- tub seal, 1-transmission O-ring and 4 bearings was only $60.00. Also, as others have mentioned, you will spend more time on mold and corrsion clean up, than on the actual tub overhaul. Sorry to report that little piece of news !
Dave

Dave,

Solid feedback on the Tub clean up and easing out those 6 Spinner Suppport bolts and Spinner Support lock down. A recent forum member snaped off a few and went the direction I went with replacing the Spinner Support hardware with SS Helicoil inserts and SS hardware. Please keep the support going for the machine. All FAV6800A/FAV9800A DIY owners that refuse to junk the machine will appreciate the help.

Question did your Series 16 machine use the Upper Bearing ring and if not what did you use for shims on the lower Outer Tub bearing?

If you run into issues with the Lid Locks search in this forum under dh1200s, I have support for troubleshooting OD,OP and FL error codes associated with the Left Hand Lid Lock. Other issue support like ND error code related to Drain Pump and Pressure Switch trouble shooting can be found on this and a few other forums I have posted on.

Very nice job on your repair/save of the machine.

Keep an eye out for machines being trashed or postings for used machines or owners parting out broke machines.....the parts may come in handy.

As you have found the machine can be saved for low cost if the owner has a desire and some basic abilities.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you and your family.........Dick
DB App.  
#77 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 7:25:40 AM(UTC)
DB App.

Dick ( and all other DIY washer repair personnel),
I have only had this washer apart and do not fix washers for a living. I thought from what I had read on this forum that I would not be able able to find the late model bearings and spacer kit needed to repair the washer tub. I was prepared to fab up a spacer kit if needed. However, once this series 16 unit was torndown, it appears to me that it uses the early style bearing set-up based on the pictures in this thread. The bearings were marked made in China. However they also had the standard bearing marking that you qoute. ( I do not have that information in front of me) I can say that all of your pictures of the 4 bearings from your overhaul matched what my bearings looked like. The only change I made upon reassembly was I went from a DU center bearing to a RS center bearing. Fits fine and appears to seal better? The tub was supported by 2 large ball bearings and a cast iron spacer in the middle of the 2 bearings. Hope this clears up the question for the series 16 washer.
Dave
dh1200s  
#78 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 6:50:03 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Dave,

""I have only had this washer apart and do not fix washers for a living.""

Me too I'm a Electronics Tech by trade.

Sounds like your series 16 machine used the upper bearing ring as part of the Clutch Pulley assembly see pic below. The old style tub design used the upper bearing ring. I thought for a while Maytag moved over to the intergrated lower tub bearing in series 13 and above machines based on other owner feed back.......not so.

The 6207 DU bearings are original and yes 6207-2RS is the replacement Outer tub bearing for the rebuild for all series machines from what I have seen.....series 18 machine is the highest I have seen in the production run to date.

One day I'll tare down my Series 16 or 17 that does not use the upper bearing ring and find out what shims are needed for the lower tub bearing using standard off the shelf 6207-2RS bearing replacements.

Good save and excellent job Dave!
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Clutch Raw 3 with title info.jpg
DB App.  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:45:36 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Dick,
That is what my clutch assembly looks like.
Dave
jjrsad  
#80 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:07:27 PM(UTC)
jjrsad

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
Dave,

Sounds like you have a slight Tub Seal leak. If you go forward with the rebuild and come up with shims that do the trick please let me and other owners know. If you have or can borrow a set of digital calipers I would like to know the thickness of the dual Outer tub bearing.

I would become familiar with the thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement. You can get the Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring thru this site. Find the best price for the 6207-2RS bearings. If you think you may want to replace the Spinner Support bearings I will look for a link for the INA SCE-910 if you decide to replace it and the 6002DU in the Spinner Support.

I feel you have some time but I would do a complete bearing replacement if you go forward with the Tub Seal/Trany O-Ring replacement . The bearings are cheap it’s the down time and baring no issues pop up like I had where I snapped of a spinner support bolt that was severely corroded in as I described in the thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement.

My everyday Series 17 machine was on line while I rebuilt the Series 10. But as you can see from the Outer Tub bearing replacement thread those folks made it thru the fix. I would post in this thread FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement for support or feedback that you have.

Good luck and I’ll be around if I can help……….Dick

Dick, I have a question for you. From what I have seen on this issue and my own experience the water leak starts at the trans o-ring (have studied mine very close, have worked on washers for 20 years) . They secure the trans to the tub hub using 4 bolts. The plastic trans will flex under some hard agitating causing the oring to leak alittle each time. I have come across this in other applications and can tell you its not the best design. What if you put some rubber sealer on both sides of the trans oring? Not silicone it will not stay. I would use a gutter sealant that is flexable when dry, repells water, can expand and retract, and seals under water. If it is clean it sticks very well. An oring will only seal on a smooth and flat surfaces. I would like to hear back from you on this it could save alot of labor and aggrevation.
Thanks Joe