Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjuly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2024 12:25:33 PM(UTC)
jjuly

Groups: Registered

Front Loader washing machine will not fill. E5E error code.

Frigidaire GLTF2940FS2 s/n: 4C93801295 Mfg: 09/09 in Mexico

I initially tried to start a cycle first with cold water, then with hot. Nothing happened. Confirmed that there was water available at the hoses and that the inlet filters were clear.
Using the washer tech service sheet (137063800 (0905)) found an error code stored. E5E “Communication Problem” perform test 11. That lists control wiring or the controller as the most likely cause. Then if it still fails after replacing the controller, replace the speed controller.

I unplugged and re-plugged all the cables on the controller and visually inspected the wiring harness from the top. Testing again, the washer started to fill, but stopped after a few seconds. Tried the Spin and Drain cycle and it started to drain, but only for a few seconds.

I replaced the controller (137006000) and tested the machine. Same problem, it will not fill. Noted an E41 error code “Control board thinks the door switch is open” perform test 6.
Running the diagnostic tests, each function would start, but run for 6 seconds that error E5E.
I cleared the error codes and tried to run the machine again.
After 1 minute, the water starts to fill, but only for 6 seconds. Then it’s quiet for 2 minutes. Then another 6 seconds of fill and 2 minutes of silence. This pattern repeats until 6 minutes, then nothing else.

According to the service sheet, the motor speed controller should be replaced. What does it have to do with the filling of the tub with water?

I did find online a report of problems with the wiring harness at a tight 90 degree bend down by the motor speed controller. I checked that and confirmed continuity on every lead between the controller and the motor speed controller … even as I pulled and stretched the leads.

I removed and re-installed all the connectors, treating them with DeOxit to insure good electrical connections.

For the one-time E41 error, I disassembled the door switch and cleaned up the switch contacts. The machine is 15 years old and this condo location is on the Pacific ocean, so there is moisture in the air. I confirmed the function of the switch contacts with an ohmmeter … all OK now.
No more E41 errors occur, but the E5E persists. I can clear the error and confirm that the codes are erased, but as soon as the diagnostic tests begin, I get the E5E after 6 seconds.

Where do I go from here?
Is there a new part calibration routine that I missed?
If the motor speed control board (134743500) is the cause, why does it affect the water fill?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.