Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
terraphysics  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:00:32 PM(UTC)
terraphysics

Groups: Registered

Replacing shaft basket gasket, spanner nut finally removed with difficulty even with spanner wrench, (showed corrosion and broken tread at bottom of nut), but inner drum will not come out. Tried shaking drum hard, side to side, up/ drown, drum will not come out. Notice that inner tub, drive block (part#17 on diagram) and tab portion of shaft easily move up and down together about 1/4 inch. Since this is a very early model (over 30 years old), is something else stopping this other than corrosion and crud? Can the inner drum and drive block be removed as a unit by replacing the spanner nut loosely back on the drive block (enough treads to completely grip, but not completely tight) and using a gear puller, pulling up on the spanner nut against the drive shaft ? Would this damage the drive shaft?

Update

After checking with support help, they didn't recommend using a gear puller, however without any other options left, I decided to try it. Using a 3 jaw , 2 ton gear puller, I pulled up on the reinstalled spanner nut against a steel plate over the center transmission shaft. The drive block and inner tub came out together fairly easy. there was no evidence of damage to the center transmission shaft. The inside portion of the inner tub was completely rusted, the inner tub would never have been pulled off. I still have not separated them, currently soaking with penetrating oil. The outer portion of the center basket drive was also completely rusted about 1/16 inch thick. Also discovered a large crack ( ~ 3 " long) in the outer basket at a bottom plastic support. Uncertain whether this was the source of the original leak and was enlarged by the shaking trying to remove the inner tub. Any in case, the cost of just replacing these two items makes the repair of the unit exceed its worth. I may try JB Weld and fiberglassing the crack as an experiment, but it is at a vertical support stress point, so not too encouraged. Maybe time to retire the unit after 31 years.

Update #2
Status of inner tub and drive bock. After turning the inter tub upside down and scraping away the rust and crud under the drive block, I poured penetrating oil around the bottom of the drive block and let it sit for about 8 hours. I then turned the tub upright and and with a block of wood hammer out the drive block. A couple good hard blows freed the two units. The lip at the bottom of the drive block was completely filled with hard crud about 1/4 inch thick. It was cleaned up with a knife and hard scraping. The bottom threads on the drive block showed corrosion and parts were missing (this matched the damage shown on the spanner nut ). Both spanner nut and drive block would require replacing. The outer basket crack repair awaits another day.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.