Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
splash1995  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:54:32 PM(UTC)
splash1995

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I am having a peculiar issue with this Amana Fridge I got from a friend. When the defrost heater turns on, the evaporator fan still runs, which blasts super hot air into the freezer, melting everything in there. Then once the defrost mode finishes (about 30 mins?), it goes back to cooling mode, and of course it takes a long time to chill the freezer down again. I suspect this is NOT normal operation, since everything in the freezer is basically thawed and refrozen every defrost cycle. This also affects the refrigerator side, but since there seems to be little airflow between the two sides anyways (probably a separate issue), it doesn't warm as much as the freezer does. I have changed the defrost timer already, and no change.

Other observations:
1. The fridge seems to cool just fine; when it isn't battling the defrost heater of course.

2. The defrost timing cycle seems to happen as it should; minus the evaporator fan not turning off when the defrost heater is on.

3. There seems to be very little air flow from the refrigerator side vent, though the freezer side has strong air flow. Probably a separate issue, but I would like to fix that as well at some point.

4. I have external fridge thermostats on both sides, and can monitor the temperature changes after the defrost mode turns off, and the compressor turns on. The fridge will run non-stop it seems to cool down again.

I think that is it. I haven't found any post about my specific problem, so I am hoping someone here can put the pieces together for me. Plus I don't want to just throw a bunch of parts willy-nilly at a free fridge at this point. Thank you all for your time!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.