Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spstur  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 6:30:27 AM(UTC)
spstur

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Hydrowave Washer that frequently fails to fill when started. The behavior I see when I press the button is:
1. It starts the drain pump, even though there is no water visible in the tub.
2. It does NOT start to fill the tub
3. The drain pump runs continuously until you hold the button to cancel the cycle, occasionally it gurgles like it is getting some water to pump, but it usually doesn't sound like it's getting anything.

Sometimes when this happens, stopping it and adjusting some dials causes the next try to work (no drain pump, tub starts to fill). However, there is no rhyme or reason to that, so it's probably a red herring.

When we do manage to get it started, we have seen the washer get stuck in wash/rinse cycles. We usually just stop it at that point, because the clothes look clean and rinsed, and the water spun out.

I have removed the drain pump to check for problems or clogs, but it looks to be in good shape and clear of debris. The drain lines are clear of debris (and when there is water in it, it seems to drain just fine). There was a some water in the drain pump and lines when I removed it, but again, no water was visible in the tub. I have tested the pressure switch by checking for continuity on the contacts, and it seems to be working - when pressure is NOT applied to the fill tube, the circuit is closed, and when pressure is applied I hear the diaphragm click and the circuit opens.

At this point I am planning to replace the pressure switch and see if that fixes it, even though it tested good. The clicking of diaphragm when I tested it sounded like the clicking we hear frequently while it runs, and it seems to be the most likely culprit for fill/drain issues. However, I'm not convinced that this is the problem, but I don't know what to test next.

Does anyone have any ideas what this problem might be, or what I should test next?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.