Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PNWDrew  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 10:25:22 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Groups: Registered

Can you actually push door shut to normal position or does it just stop there?

The door frames (mullions) are part of the hot gas or Yoder loop. There is a loop of steel tubing around each door opening. This helps keep seal area mold free and also helps cool the hot compressed refrigerant in conjunction with the condenser to ensure it enters the evaporator as a liquid. Essentially nine system removes heat from the interior by expanding the liquid in the freezer. It boils off (phase changes) at about -15deg F if I recall my physics correctly.. So short answer is you want the mullions warm at least..

There's many reasons a door might not shut, from physical blockage to break down of the spacers and cups at the hinges. Its a tough one to diagnose remotely. Look at the parts diagram of top and bottom hinges and see if any plastic spacers may have worn away, I'd expect that to be affecting hinge side but its a possibility that should be checked out.
smithd441@gmail.com  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:15:21 PM(UTC)
smithd441@gmail.com

PNWDrew, first and foremost thank you so much for having replied so many times prior and my apologies once again for a delayed reply. SO rude of me. The reason is as follows. In answer to your question, yes, I can push the door in so there's no obstacle inhibiting that. I don't see any distortion in the freezer door to suggest it's out of shape and I'm confident the new gasket is installed correctly. As you said, without looking at it, it's hard to properly diagnose....now if you live in Southern California I'd invite you over and pay for your services happily!

So my delay was that I decided to think outside the box and install a thin piece of weather stripping on the outside of the gasket in the bottom corner of the door, the part that protrudes. I lose the magnetic connection of course but it closes that thin air gap which I think was my problem. I've since been monitoring the temperature. Happily its been staying around -1, 0 and 1 when the door is closed AND YET open the freezer door for say ten seconds and the temperature later rises considerably, up to 7 at the moment. IT'll work itself down I think to 0 again but disconcerting. Would you say that's normal? One of the things I never noticed before!

Thank you once again. I REALLY appreciate your insight and willingness to help, regardless of my rudeness in replying late!
PNWDrew  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:17:48 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

No worries, glad to hear your freezer at least is freezing. When you open it of course an inrush of warmer air enters, if it gives you realtime temps on display you might see a temp change as it cools that air.
Also it shuts down fans usually when doors open and it may use door openings as part of its defrost timing. That wouldn't be every time however.
Using weather stripping isn't ideal but if it seals the gaps that's OK. You just want a sealed cabinet.